SOUTHEASTERN N.C. — It may feel impossible to keep up with local issues while they’re still being worked out.
Getting involved early in the policy-making process can help ensure the community’s input is heard before it’s too late to chime in.
You may not even need to attend (in person or virtually) to make sure your perspective is taken into consideration. Oftentimes, sending an email to government officials to be considered a public comment pertaining to a particular item can put your voice into the record.
Every Monday Port City Daily shares upcoming government meetings around the tri-county region. If there’s an item of public interest, we’ll include that below the listed meeting, too.
Monday, Feb. 28
Wilmington City Council meets for a review of Tuesday’s agenda in the Wilmington Convention Center, 10 Convention Center Dr., at 8:30 a.m. Meetings are streamed on YouTube.
The Pender County Parks and Rec Advisory Board will meet at 6:30 p.m. at the Pender County Public Assembly Room, 805 S. Walker St. in Burgaw. The agenda includes the adoption of the 10-year master plan.
Tuesday, Mar. 1
- An update from the Wilmington Housing Authority
- Council will revisit four economic development incentives packages to unknown companies, totaling $695K, which it previously postponed to prolong the public comment period. The county commissioners have already approved spending $1.9 million on the same awards, and reportedly the state is getting in on the deals and will reveal the companies when the time comes. (Read more.)
- An agreement with NCDOT to fund the first design phase of the Downtown Rail Trail, from 3rd Street to the Love Grove Bridge
The New Hanover County Board of Education meets at 5 p.m. in its building at 1805 S. 13th St. Attendance is limited to 170 people, and there’s also an option to watch from home on NHCSTV. There will be an hour-long closed session mid-meeting. The agenda includes:
- A review of the drafted strategic plan
- Work sessions, led by the board chair, on the $1.25-billion endowment fund and an “employee task force”
- A presentation by an attorney on student seclusion
- A presentation on the compensation study
- The state-required monthly vote on masks. Currently, the policy in NHCS is optional.
- A review of suspensions for 4-, 5-, 6- and 7-year-old students
Wilmington Housing Authority Board of Commissioners will meet at 4 p.m. at Rankin Place Terrace, 415 N 12th St. Immediately afterward, the Housing and Economic Opportunities, Inc. Board of Directors will meet, followed by the Glover Plaza, Inc. Board of Directors.
The Belville Board of Commissioners meets at 6:30 p.m. in the Town Hall Chambers, 63 River Rd. The agenda includes:
- A multi-use path update
- Update on Brunswick Riverwalk
- Street and drainage repairs update
- Update on American Rescue Plan funds
The Brunswick County Board of Education meets at 6:30 p.m. at The Center of Applied Sciences and Technology, 1109 Old Ocean Hwy in Bolivia. View the agenda here.
The Pender County Planning Board will meet at 7 p.m. at the Pender County Public Assembly Room, 805 S. Walker St. in Burgaw. The agenda includes:
- The Parks and Recreation 10-year master plan
- Request to rezone 11.5 acres along U.S. Highway 17 from residential performance to general business.
- A public hearing on an annexation
- Rezoning of the western portion of Tiffany’s Motel
- Approval of N.C. League of Municipalities Safety Grant
The Pender County Board of Education will meet at 6 p.m. at the Board Room, Dr. Katherine Herring Resource Center, 798 U.S. Hwy. 117 South in Burgaw. The meeting can be livestreamed on YouTube.
Wednesday, Mar. 2
The New Hanover County and City of Wilmington Workforce Housing Advisory Committee meets at 3 p.m. in Conference Room 500 at 230 Government Center Dr.
The New Hanover County Airport Authority meets at 5 p.m. at ILM’s executive conference room, the second floor of the terminal building.
The Town North Topsail Beach Board of Aldermen will meet at 11 a.m. at town hall, 2008 Loggerhead Court. The meeting can be livestreamed on YouTube.
Thursday, Mar. 3
The Town of Burgaw’s Tourism Development Authority meets at 8:30 a.m. at the Historic Train Depot, 115 S. Dickerson St.
Friday, Mar. 4
The Town of Oak Island Par 3 Advisory Committee meets from 1 p.m. – 2 p.m. at the Oak Island Par 3 Golf Course at 4188 Vanessa Dr.
Send tips and comments to email@example.com