Saturday, June 3, 2023

DMV’s registration extension starts expiring Saturday [Free]

The DMV's extension period for licenses and registrations ends this weekend. (Port City Daily/File photo)
The DMV’s extension period for licenses and registrations ends this weekend. (Port City Daily/File photo)

NORTH CAROLINA — After granting a five-month extension to renew their registration or license, the Department of Motor Vehicles is reminding motorists that time is almost up.

Beginning Aug. 1, registrations scheduled to expire will no longer be granted an extension for renewal. Registration that were extended due to the pandemic will also begin to expire.

Related: DMV waives late penalties, enacts five-month extension for most renewals [Free read]

Expiration dates that fall between March 1 through July 31 are granted a five-month extension under Senate Bill 704.

For example, if your vehicle’s registration had a March 31 deadline, its new due date will be Aug. 31. If it has a July 1 registration deadline, it’s new deadline would be Dec. 1.

Due dates and late fees will be applied as normal for eligible registrations and renewals that fall outside the extension period.

The DMV’s five-month extension applies to the following credentials, licenses, or registrations:

  • Driver license.
  • Learner’s permit.
  • Limited learner’s permit.
  • Limited provisional license.
  • Full provisional license.
  • Commercial driver license.
  • Commercial learner’s permit.
  • Temporary driving certificate.
  • Special identification card.
  • Handicapped placard.
  • Vehicle registration.
  • Temporary vehicle registration.
  • Dealer license plate.
  • Transporter plate.
  • Loaner/Dealer “LD” plate.
  • Vehicle inspection authorization.
  • Inspection station license.
  • Inspection mechanic license.
  • Transportation network company permit.
  • Motor vehicle dealer license.
  • Sales representative license.
  • Manufacturer license.
  • Distributor license.
  • Wholesaler license.
  • Driver training school license.
  • Driver training school instructor license.
  • Professional house-moving license.

Related Articles