SOUTHEAST N.C. — The Cape Fear Region is under a winter storm warning; Port City Daily has compiled a list of emergency numbers for residents.
In the event of an emergency, calling 911 first. Non-emergency numbers are below.
Dressing for the weather
Emergency Management Director for New Hanover County Steven Still offered residents several tips for residents facing the cold weather and potential ice and snow. Dressing warmly is of course, the first thing Still recommended.
“If you have to be outside, wear multiple layers of thin clothing instead of a single layer of thick clothing. You’ll be warmer and you can easily remove layers to remain comfortable,” Still said.
In the event of a power outage due to the cold weather, Still recommends having auxiliary heating sources available.
“In case you lose power, have emergency heating equipment and fuel available. A gas fireplace or wood burning stove or fireplace is the best source of heat. Never use a grill or camp stove indoors for heating or cooking. The fumes can be toxic. If you use a generator, make sure it is outside of your home and away from windows or doors,” Still said.
When it comes to driving during the storm, black ice and snow can cause a major hazard to drivers, and avoiding the roads if possible is recommended.
“If possible, do not drive during the storm. If you have to be on the road, leave plenty of room between you and other cars, and approach all bridges will caution because they tend to accumulate ice first,” he said.
Below are a list of websites and other contact information to stay up to date on the winter weather:
National Weather Service Wilmington
Up-to-date weather information
News and information from the state of North Carolina Emergency Management
New Hanover County
Duke Energy Progress
- Call 1-800-419-6356 or text OUT to 57801 from the phone associated with your account.
- Online outage form (Suggested if Internet is available)
- Power outage map (View a full, area map of power outages)
Brunswick Electric Membership Cooperation
Tri-County Electric Membership Corporation
- 919-735-2611 or 1-800-548-4869 (to report a power outage)
- Online outage reporting
- Outage updates via the website
- Outage updates via Facebook
- Storm Center (tips, information)
Dominion North Carolina Power
- 1-866-DOM-HELP (1-866-366-4357)
- Online Outage Center (reporting, maps, FAQs)
- Report and check outages online
Cape Fear Public Utility Authority
Brunswick Regional Water and Sewer (H2GO)
- 910-367-1537 (After hours water emergencies)
- 910-367-2084 (After hours sewer emergencies)
- 910-371-9949 (Business line)
Brunswick County Utilities
- 910-253-2655 (Customer service)
- 910-253-2657 (administrative offices)
Pender County Utilities
- 910-471-1041 (for water or sewer emergencies)
- Utilities webpage
- Code Red registration (Emergency notifications by phone)
Closings and cancellations can be found here.