NEW HANOVER COUNTY—The days are getting longer, warmer and fill with more tunes. Summer concert series in the Cape Fear Region have been announced, with local acts making appearances throughout the summer months.
Below, we’ve compiled a comprehensive list of venues, information and music lineups to last you all summer.
Downtown Sundown Concert Series – Produced by Wilmington Downtown Incorporated, the Downtown Sundown Concert Series will soon return on the Riverwalk for its 13th season. This year’s summer lineup is full of tribute bands that will headline and local acts to open the touring groups.
All concerts are free and family-friendly. For concert-goers who wish to purchase alcohol, wristbands are available for $1. Alcohol sales to those with wristbands begin at 6:30 and end at 9:30 p.m.
Opening acts will begin at 6:30 and headliners will take the stage at 8 p.m. Located at the Riverfront Park in front of the Federal Courthouse, parking is available in any of Wilmington’s downtown public parking decks.
- May 25 42 – Coldplay tribute band
- June 1 Red Zeppelin – Led Zeppelin tribute band
- June 8 Hey Johnny Park – Foo Fighters tribute band
- June 15 Tuesday’s Gone – Lynyrd Skynyrd tribute band
- June 22 The Core – Eric Clapton tribute band
- June 29 20 Ride – Zac Brown Band tribute band
- July 6 Wrong Way – Sublime tribute band
- July 13 Departure – Journey tribute band
- July 20 Funky Monks – Red Hot Chili Peppers tribute
- July 27 Breakfast Club – 80s cover band
- Aug. 3 Shoot to Thrill – AC/DC tribute band
- Aug. 10 The Wildflowers – Tom Petty tribute band
- Aug. 17 Skydog – The Allman Brothers Band tribute band
- Aug. 24 Abbey Road Live – The Beatles tribute band
- Aug. 31 Satisfaction – The Rolling Stones tribute band
Greenfield Lake Amphitheater – If you’re looking for great tunes with a view, look no further than Greenfield Lake Amphitheater. Several shows, including those sponsored by 98.3 The Penguin, are already sold out. For more information on Penguin sponsored shows and ticket availability, visit Port City Daily’s concert tab.
Author’s note: Port City Daily and 98.3 The Penguin are owned by the same company, Local Voice Media.
- May 9 Buddy Guy
- May 11 Brandi Carlile (sold out)
- June 5 Fitz & The Tantrums + Mikky Ekko (sold out)
- June 8 Lukas Nelson & Promise Of The Real (sold out)
- June 10 The Revivalists with J Roddy Walston & The Business (sold out)
- July 7 Port City Reggae Music & Arts Festival
- July 27 ZZ Ward
- July 28 Michael Franti & Spearhead (sold out)
- July 29 Michael Franti & Spearhead (sold out)
- Aug. 3 The Chris Robinson Brotherhood
- Aug. 16 Marcus King Band
- Aug. 24 Shovels & Rope
- Sept. 19 Trampled by Turtles
- Sept. 20 Kaleo
Jazz at the Mansion – Held outdoors at the historic Bellamy Mansion on Market Street, concert-goers can prepare for a summer filled with jazz. Tickets to “Jazz at the Mansion” are $18. For Bellamy Mansion Members, volunteers and students, the cost is $10.
Concerts will start at 6:30 p.m. Proceeds will go toward performers, Cape Fear Jazz Society and the Bellamy Mansion Museum. For more information on the jazz series or to purchase tickets, call 910-251-3700.
- May 10 Nick Michaels Quintet
- June 14 Ariel Pocock Group
- July 12 El Jaye Johnson
- Aug. 9 Julia Walker Jewell Quartet
- Sept. 13 Mangroove featuring Jim Ferris
Airlie’s 2018 Summer Concert Series—Among live oaks and Bradley Creek, the summer concert series at Airlie Gardens is set to run every first and third Friday until Sept. 21. From 6 to 8 p.m., concerts cost $9 for adults.
Children between four and 12 years old can attend for $2 and kids under four can attend free of charge. Concerts are also free for current Airlie Gardens members. Tickets can be purchased online here or at Airlie Gift Shop from 9 a.m. until 4 p.m.
- May 18 Signal Fire
- June 1 Machine Gun
- June 15 Massive Grass
- July 6 Wilmington Big Band
- July 20 L Shape Lot
- Aug. 3 Dung Beatles
- Aug. 17 Bibis Ellison
- Sept. 7 Jack Jack 180
- Sept. 21 Jim Quick & Coastline
Sounds of Summer Concerts in the Park—In Wrightsville Beach, residents are visitors are invited to attend “Sounds of Summer Concerts in the Park.” Held at Wrightsville Beach Park, concerts are free and run on Thursdays from 6:30 until 8 p.m.
No alcohol is allowed in Wrightsville Beach Park, but concert-goers may bring coolers along with lawn chairs and blankets.
- June 14 Southern Trouble
- June 21 Striking Copper
- June 28 Machine Gun Band
- July 5 Sonic Spectrum
- July 12 Overtyme Band
- July 19 Port City Shakedown
- July 26 Bantum Rooster
- Aug. 2 The Imitations
Boogie in the Park Concert Series—If music on the oceanfront is your thing, Kure Beach has you covered. Kure Beach’s Ocean Front Park at 105 Atlantic Ave. will host several live concerts this summer featuring plenty of local acts. From 5 to 7 p.m., the concerts are free to attend.
- May 20 Signal Fire
- June 3 Rivermist
- June 17 L Shape Lot
- July 1 Bibis Ellison Band
- July 15 LaCi
- Aug. 5 South of K
- Aug. 19 Nu-Blu
- Sept. 2 The Rag Doll Band
- Sept. 16 David Dixon Trio
- Oct. 7 Stick ‘em Up
- Oct. 21 Port City Shakedown
Free Summer Concerts at Fort Fisher Military Recreation Area—Fort Fisher Military Recreation Area is yet another venue for locals to check out live music with a view of the water.
Overlooking the Cape Fear River, Fort Fisher Military Recreation Area is located at 118 Riverfront Road. Concerts will run from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. on all Fridays in June, July and August.
- June 8 Massive Grass
- June 22 Luxuriant Sedans
- July 13 Spank
- July 27 Will McBride Group
- Aug. 10 Carl Newton’s Review
- Aug. 24 Rebekah Todd & the Odyssey
Carolina Beach Boardwalk Blast—Carolina Beach Boardwalk hosts a summer concert series with fireworks that runs every week of the summer. Its first and last shows will run on Fridays, but every show in between will run on Thursdays.
At the Carolina Beach Boardwalk Gazebo, music starts at 6:30 p.m. and fireworks start at 9 p.m.
- May 25 Carl Newton’s Review
- May 31 Laci
- June 7 Rivermist
- June 14 Spank
- June 21 Billy Walton
- June 28 Feebs
- July 3 L Shape Lot
- July 5 Machine Gun
- July 12 Justin Cody Fox
- July 19 The Cut
- July 26 Trainwreck
- Aug. 2 Jack Jack 180
- Aug. 9 The Other Guys
- Aug. 16 Zion Roots
- Aug. 23 Painted Man
- Aug. 31 Phantom Playboys
Johanna Ferebee can be reached at email@example.com or @j__ferebee on Twitter