NEW HANOVER COUNTY — Tax season has arrived, but thanks to IRS certified volunteers, it doesn’t have to be a headache.
From now until April, eligible residents can receive free tax assistance at three locations in New Hanover County. The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) programs provide tax guidance free of charge.
VITA can assist residents earning around $54,000 or less, those with limited English language proficiency or disabilities. TCE is a free program for all taxpayers but will grant priority assistance to individuals over 60 years old.
Here’s where you can file for free, with no appointment required:
New Hanover Senior Resource Center, open now until April 18 each day of the week. IRS certified volunteers will be available from 9 a.m. through 4 p.m. on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and from 11 a.m. through 6 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday.
The University of North Carolina at Wilmington FSA, open now until April 7 on Wednesdays, 5 p.m. through 8 p.m and Saturdays, 9 a.m. through 3 p.m.
Carolina Beach Community Center, open now until April 18, five days a week. From Monday through Thursday, IRS certified volunteers will be on site from 12 p.m. through 4 p.m. and on Saturday from 8 a.m. until 12 p.m.
Below is a list of items prepared by the IRS that residents should bring:
- Proof of identification (photo ID)
- Social Security cards for you, your spouse and dependents
- An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter may be substituted for you, your spouse and your dependents if you do not have a Social Security number
- Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
- Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R,1099-Misc) from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- Health Insurance Exemption Certificate, if received
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available
- Proof of bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit such as a blank check
- To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms
- Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax identifying number such as their Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number
- Forms 1095-A, B and C, Health Coverage Statements
Copies of income transcripts from IRS and state, if applicable
For more information, visit https://www.irs.gov/individuals/free-tax-return-preparation-for-you-by-volunteers.