Wednesday, June 12, 2024

Regional award given to New Hanover County principal 

Christianne May, Castle Hayne Elementary principal, won 2024 southeast region’s principal of the year. (Courtesy photo)

NEW HANOVER COUNTY — Christianne May is the principal of Castle Hayne Elementary School and the new 2024 southeast region North Carolina principal of the year.

MORE EDUCATION NEWS: Board member attempts to dissolve Student Voice after butting heads about meeting participation

Students and staff at Castle Hayne Elementary gathered in the school’s library on Monday morning to surprise May. 

An educator for 20 years, May started as a teacher and has since moved into administration. She has worked in other North Carolina school districts, such as Charlotte Mecklenburg and Gaston County school systems. 

May was described by her staff as an encouraging leader who has changed the culture at the elementary school. According to her staff, she has embedded an open-door- policy and a “work-hard, play-hard” mentality at the school. 

May’s impact on Castle Hayne Elementary is best seen through the school’s academic growth. In years prior, Castle Hayne Elementary school’s overall performance score was in the 62-67 range.

According to the N.C. Department of Public Instruction, 80% of a schools performance score is based on achievement measure, while the other 20% is based on academic growth. Since May became principal, the school’s performance score has increased to 93. 

To be awarded the Wells Fargo Southeast region principal of the year, one must first be selected on a local level. Local selections are nominated by the region’s superintendent. From there, nominees will participate in interviews and portfolio evaluations. Regional winners are then selected and placed in the running for the state’s principal of the year award. 


Tips or comments? Email info@localdailymedia.com.

Want to read more from PCD? Subscribe now and then sign up for our morning newsletter, Wilmington Wire, and get the headlines delivered to your inbox every morning.

Shea Carver
Shea Carver
Shea Carver is the editor in chief at Port City Daily. A UNCW alumna, Shea worked in the print media business in Wilmington for 22 years before joining the PCD team in October 2020. She specializes in arts coverage — music, film, literature, theatre — the dining scene, and can often be tapped on where to go, what to do and who to see in Wilmington. When she isn’t hanging with her pup, Shadow Wolf, tending the garden or spinning vinyl, she’s attending concerts and live theater.

Related Articles