SOUTHEASTERN N.C. — It may feel impossible to keep up with local issues while they’re still being worked out.
You may not even need to attend (in person or virtually) to make sure your perspective is taken into consideration. Oftentimes, sending an email to government officials to be considered a public comment pertaining to a particular item can put your voice into the record.
Every Monday Port City Daily will share upcoming government meetings around the tri-county region. If there’s an item of public interest, we’ll include that below the listed meeting, too.
Tuesday, May 31
The Wilmington Housing Authority has three back-to-back committee meetings. Starting at 3 p.m., the committee for community outreach and resident services meets. At 4 p.m., the Real Estate Development Committee meets immediately followed by the policy, administration and finance. All meetings are held at Rankin Place Terrace, 415 N. 12th St.
Items on the agendas include:
- A $158,000 contract with the Wilmington Police Department
- A resolution authorizing employee health insurance coverage to the full board
The Town of Burgaw Board of Commissioners will hold a special meeting at 4:30 p.m. at the Historic Train Depot, 115 S. Dickerson St. to discuss the fiscal year 2022-2023 budget.
Wednesday, June 1
The Town of Burgaw Beautification Committee will meet at 8:30 a.m. at the Historic Train Depot, 115 S. Dickerson St.
- A report from the planning board committee
- An update from the coastal engineer
- An agreement between Onslow County and North Topsail for a temporary emergency operations center
The New Hanover County Airport Authority will meet at 5 p.m. at the airport terminal, 1740 Airport Blvd. in Wilmington.
- Conditional district rezoning for 61 cottage-style townhomes along Giles and Peiffer avenues. Read more here.
- Conditional rezoning at 2020 Beasley Rd. from R-15 to R-7 to allow for a 3-lot subdivision, with a duplex on each.
- Conditional rezoning from R-10 to R-5 to allow for a nine-lot residential subdivision on Cedar Avenue
- Conditional rezoning from O&I to MD-10 to allow for residential development to include a mix of cottages, duplexes, townhomes, and multi-family units.
- Land development code amendment pertaining to short-term lodging regulations. Read more here.
The Kure Beach Planning and Zoning Commission will meet at 6 p.m. at 117 Settlers Ln. On the agenda is a text amendment allowing the extension of a roof on a non-coforming structure to cover already existing open porches. City staff suggest denying the request.
The Kure Beach Historic Preservation Commission will meet after the zoning commission at 6:30 p.m. at 117 Settlers Ln. to address the finalization of address lists and discuss historic preservation applicants. See the agenda.
Thursday, June 2
New Hanover County Board of Education is hosting a special meeting at 8:30 a.m. to interview and appoint candidates for the Cape Fear Community College Board of Trustees.
The Town of Burgaw Tourism Development Authority will meet at 8:30 a.m. at the Historic Train Depot, 115 S. Dickerson St.
The Town of Oak Island Board of Adjustment will meet at 9 a.m. in council chambers in town hall at 4601 E Oak Island Dr. A few items on the agenda include a storage unit variance, appeal of staff determination on encroachment of a pool deck, and an accessory size variance.
Have tips or comments? Email email@example.com