SOUTHEASTERN N.C. — It may feel impossible to keep up with local issues while they’re still being worked out.
Getting involved early in the policy-making process can help ensure the community’s input is heard before it’s too late to chime in.
Monday, May 16
The New Hanover County Board of Commissioners meets at 9 a.m. County staff will present the recommended budget and capital improvement plan for next fiscal year, according to the agenda. Watch the meeting online here or attend in person at the Historic Courthouse, 24 N. Third St.
The New Hanover County Board of Elections meets at 5 p.m. in the Longleaf Room at the Board of Elections Office, 1241 A Military Cutoff Rd., to review absentee ballot applications and discuss other election-related matters. Instructions on how to listen in telephonically are available here.
The Brunswick County Board of Commissioners is joining for a special meeting at 4 p.m. in the Commissioners Chambers — 30 Government Center Dr NE in Bolivia — to go over ways to use its American Rescue Plan Act funds. The county received $27 million in the federal Covid-19 relief. At 6 p.m. it will hold its regular meeting. On the agenda, the board will:
- Allow the public to speak on the Public Housing Agency during a hearing
- Consider a request to the Army Donations Program for a tank for a military memorial display at the Government Center
- Review the recommended budget and schedule a public hearing for June 6
The Pender County Board of Commissioners will meet at 4 p.m. at the county administration building, 805 S. Walker St. in Burgaw. The meeting can be livestreamed here. A few items on the agenda include:
- Approval to amend the Housing Authority Administrative Plan
- Approval of an increase in budget allocations to Pender EMS & Fire for salary increases
- Public hearing for a rezoning of 11.5 acres on U.S. Hwy 17 from residential performing to general business
The City of Southport Planning Board Review Committee will meet at 3 p.m. at the Indian Trail Meeting Hall, 113 W. Moore St. The committee will discuss an amendment to the parking regulations.
The City of Southport Beautification Committee will meet at 5 p.m. at the Indian Trail Meeting Hall, 113 W. Moore St.
Tuesday, May 17
The Town of Burgaw Police Advisory Board will meet at 5:30 p.m. at the Historic Train Depot, 115 S. Dickerson St.
The Brunswick County Planning Board meets at 6 p.m. in the Commissioners Chambers, 30 Government Center Dr NE in Bolivia. There are five public hearings scheduled:
- Malmo Tract: A 685-acre planned development on Malmo Loop Road with 1,857 units, including duplexes, townhomes, multi-family units and single-family homes (Read more here.)
- River Tide Farms: A 46-acre development with 155-single family lots at Ocean Highway East and Mill Creek Road
- Coastal Club of the Carolinas (formerly Farmstead): A 311-acre planned development with 630 single-family units
- Ruffins River Landing: A 4.5-acre expansion of the 66-acre development consisting of 8 single-family homes
- Hood Creek Landing: A 75-acre subdivision with 128 single-family homes at Mt. Misery Road
The New Hanover County Board of Elections will meet at 2 p.m. to count absentee ballots and discuss other election-related matters in the Longleaf Room at the Board of Elections Office, 1241 A Military Cutoff Rd. Instructions on how to listen in telephonically are available here.
- An ordinance making appropriations for the fiscal year beginning July 1, 2022 for the general fund, grant projects, financial plans, enterprise funds, debt service funds and capital project funds
- An ordinance amending various chapters of the city’s fee schedule in conjunction with the fiscal year 2023 recommended budget, including parking facility and transportation fees, golf course and recreation, refuse collection and disposal, engineering, planning and zoning, and stormwater services
- An ordinance to enter into a contract with Wilmington Downtown, Inc. to provide services to the municipal services district
The Surf City Beautification and Enhancement Committee will meet all day at Town Hall, 214 W. Florence Way.
The Town of Oak Island will hold a special council meeting at 6 p.m. in the council chambers, on the second floor of the Town Hall at 4601 E Oak Island Dr. An agenda was not listed as of press. Access the livestream here.
The City of Southport Rate Committee will meet at 2 p.m. at the Indian Trail Meeting Hall, 113 W. Moore St. The committee will review the water and sewer rate increases that went into effect in March 2022
Wednesday, May 18
The Wilmington Design Adjustment Committee will meet at 1:30 p.m. in city council chambers at City Hall, 102 North 3rd St. The agenda includes:
- A waiver and adjustment for a private right-of-way on Pigfish Lane
- Preliminary plan approval for Bradley Heights, a proposed residential development at Giles and Peiffer avenues.
The Belville Planning Board is meeting at 6:30 PM in town hall, 63 River Rd., to review a proposed text amendment that would increase the maximum density — residential units per acre — in the central business and the multi-family zoning districts.
The Town of Burgaw Beautification Committee will meet at 8:30 p.m. at the Historic Train Depot, 115 S. Dickerson St.
The Pender County Board of Adjustment will meet at 9 a.m. at the public assembly room, 805 S. Walker St. in Burgaw. The agenda includes two proposed variances.
The Bald Head Transportation Authority Meeting will take place at 9:15 a.m. at the Southport Community Building, 223 E. Bay St. The Bald Head Island Transportation Authority will discuss the budget.
The City of Southport Planning Board Indigo Environmental Impacts Committee will meet at 4:30 p.m. at the Indian Trail Meeting Hall, 113 W. Moore St. There will be no public comment period. The review committee will be focusing on reviewing possible environmental impacts of the proposed Indigo Plantation Phase 2 project. Read more here.
Thursday, May 19
Leland Town Council meets for its regular meeting at 6 p.m. The agenda includes two annexations and subsequent zoning requests for a 16.65-acre tract located off Old Fayetteville Road and a town-owned 0.88-acre property near the Grayson Park subdivision. Watch online here.
Navassa Town Council meets at 7:30 p.m.
The Wilmington Board of Adjustment will meet at 1 p.m. in the Harrelson building, 115 North 3rd St. The agenda includes:
- A variance to floodplain higher standards for 6225 Old Military Rd.
- A variance to the minimum side setbacks for a detached single-dwelling unit in the R-3 district at 616 Church St.
The New Hanover County ABC Board will meet at 9 a.m. at the general office, 6009 Market St. Update: This meeting has been canceled and rescheduled for May 26 at 9 a.m.
The Town of Oak Island Planning Board will meet at 10:30 a.m. in the council chambers, on the second floor of the Town Hall at 4601 E Oak Island Dr. Two items on the agenda include a request to amend the height limit for fences in the front yard an da discussion of tree protection ordinances.
The City of Southport Planning and Zoning Board will meet at 6 p.m. at the Southport Community Building, 223 E. Bay St.
Have tips or comments? Email firstname.lastname@example.org