WILMINGTON — The City of Wilmington has been revising its current noise ordinance but has offered little opportunity for public input on the topic, which is why two groups have offered to host community meetings for the public to attend and offer their own input.
“In response to concerns about the opportunity for public input, WDI and the Chamber of Commerce will be hosting community meetings on this topic. The public is encouraged to attend either or both,” Wilmington spokesman Dylan Lee wrote in a weekly update.
The noise ordinance in Wilmington has been debated for several months now among city leaders, business owners, residents, and the police who have to enforce the sometimes vague laws.
According to Lee, there are two main changes in the proposed code that differ from the last discussion on the topic on June 17.
- “The times were changed from 6 am -11 pm to 7 am to midnight everywhere in the ordinance.
- The prohibition on garbage/recycling collection during the nighttime is now just for residential areas, not downtown. This doesn’t mean that garbage/recycling is specifically allowed in downtown during the nighttime hours. It only means that noise issues based on this type of activity in the downtown area at night will be addressed on a complaint-driven basis instead of being strictly prohibited.”
The two public input meetings will be held on July 15 and July 18 by WDI as well as the Chamber of Commerce, the details can be found below.
City Council will receive yet another update on the noise ordinance on July 15 following the regularly scheduled agenda briefing meeting at 8:30 a.m. but there will be no time for public comment on the issue and no action will be taken by the council.
WDI-sponsored Community Meeting – Monday, July 15, 2019
- Hannah S. Block Historic USO & Community Arts Center
- 120 S. Second Street
- 6:00 – 8:00 p.m.
Chamber-sponsored Community Meeting – Thursday, July 18, 2019
- Northeast Regional Library
- Executive Development Center Entrance
- David M. Paynter Assembly Room
- 1241 Military Cutoff Road
- 6:00 – 8:00 p.m