Update 2:15 p.m. — Emergency 911 service has been restored in southeastern North Carolina, according to the North Carolina 911 Board, the state body responsible for maintaining landline and wireless 911 communications.
According to a release, “reports of interrupted service throughout the region began Wednesday and had been returned to normal by 1 p.m. Thursday. Assistance at the centers was still available by calling the local centers’ administrative lines.”
North Carolina 911 Board Executive Director Pokey Harris said 911 was still available by contacting law enforcement directly.
“Our 911 centers and employees were still operating and serving their communities during this time using established protocol for such instances,” Harris said. “We understand how important 911 service is and always aim to make sure there is as little downtime as possible.”
According to the board, the cause of the interruption is not known, but an analysis is underway.
The release notes that “anyone who has difficulty reaching their local 911 center should call the main number for their center to report the problem. The state has 115 911 centers and they are managed and operated by county or municipal authorities.”
BRUNSWICK COUNTY — Cellphone users are having trouble connecting to emergency services through 911, according to a Brunswick County Sheriff’s Office press release.
The temporary issue appears to only be affecting callers in the southeastern portion of the county, the release states. No source of the outage is known at this time.
Only cell users are impacted by the apparent outage at this time. The public is encouraged to call 910-253-7490 if emergency assistance is needed.
For more information, visit the Brunswick County Sheriff’s Office’s website here.