WILMINGTON — Following an investigation from the Fire Marshal’s Office, a fire at Mill Creek apartments was ruled an accident due to improperly discarded smoking materials.
The Wilmington Fire Department responded to the fire around 6:30 p.m. Sunday when one of the buildings at Mill Creek Court was ablaze with heavy smoke and flames. Crews were alerted someone was trapped on the second-floor balcony and firefighters were able to rescue the person, who was then transported to the hospital but expected to recover. WPD also saved two pets from the fire.
Due to building damage, 11 residents and 11 pets are currently displaced. Partners at Red Cross are assisting those residents with temporary housing and personal needs.
Have tips or comments? Email firstname.lastname@example.org