Monday, March 20, 2023

Fire contained on Robert S. Garnett Dr., firefighters remind citizens of holiday safety tips

WILMINGTON—This morning at 9 o’clock, the Wilmington Fire Department responded to a home on Robert S. Garnett Dr. The two occupants and their animals escaped without injury.

Though crews from New Hanover County Fire Rescue and WFD contained the fire to the room of origin, the entire home suffered extensive damage. WFD investigators ruled it accidental, due to electrical failure, which started near the home’s live Christmas tree and moved rapidly.

WFD and NHCFR want to remind citizens of a few holiday safety tips to keep in mind this season:

  • Keep space heaters three feet away from anything that can burn and turn them off when leaving the home or going to bed.
  • Stay in the kitchen while cooking and keep the stovetop and counter nearby free from clutter and combustible decorations.
  • Unplug any holiday lights and decorations and blow out candles before going to bed

PCD offers live briefs for free. Want to read in-depth reporting from our staff? Register now and then sign up for our newsletter, Wilmington Wire, and get the headlines delivered to your inbox every morning.

Send tips and comments to

Shea Carver
Shea Carver
Shea Carver is the editor in chief at Port City Daily. A UNCW alumna, Shea worked in the print media business in Wilmington for 22 years before joining the PCD team in October 2020. She specializes in arts coverage — music, film, literature, theatre — the dining scene, and can often be tapped on where to go, what to do and who to see in Wilmington. When she isn’t hanging with her pup, Shadow Wolf, tending the garden or spinning vinyl, she’s attending concerts and live theater.

Related Articles