Friday, August 12, 2022

Update: NCDOT issues correction, confirms Military Cutoff Road will be shifted, not closed

A portion of Military Cutoff Road will be closed for two months for a developer to make road improvements (Port City Daily/Michael Praats)
A portion of Military Cutoff Road was reported to be closing for 8 weeks for installation of utilities — however — according to the developer, lanes will remain open while the work is completed, just shifted.  (Port City Daily/Michael Praats)

Update, Monday 7 p.m.: NCDOT Spokeswoman Lauren Haviland released a corrected press release confirming there would be no closure of lanes on Military Cutoff Road. 

The release reads:

“The N.C. Department of Transportation plans to shift traffic in one direction for a section of U.S. 17 in New Hanover County for about eight weeks.

Beginning at 8 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 25, the southbound lanes of Military Cutoff Road (U.S. 17) will be shifted between Gordon Road and Station Road. 

During this time, construction crews will be able to safely perform utility work for the Arboretum West Development, a mixed-use community that will include apartments, townhomes and commercial space.  

At least two lanes will be maintained during construction so traffic can be safely shifted and motorists can continue using U.S. 17 southbound. The project is expected to be complete by Nov. 20.

No detour route will be provided during the eight-week period.  All travelers are reminded to use caution, plan for delays in their commute and find alternate routes when possible.

This release corrects information in a previous release distributed from our office.”


WILMINGTON — Drivers in Wilmington can breathe a sigh of relief — Military Cutoff Road will not be closing as previously announced for eight weeks for the installation of utilities at a new mixed-use development.

On Friday, NCDOT issued a press release stating the two southbound lanes of Military Cutoff Road would be closed to traffic with no detour provided for several months. However, Mark Maynard Jr. of Tribute Properties, the development company for Arboretum West Development, said this is not the case.

Roadwork will be taking place on Military Cutoff at the Arboretum development, but only at night starting Sept. 25 at 8 p.m. and only to shift the traffic lanes so they can remain open during construction, he said.

There will be some closures of the road while the lane shift is completed but they will take place at night and will last for only a few days, according to Maynard.

An employee with the NCDOT in Wilmington confirmed there would be two lanes of traffic open in both directions during the construction. He also noted that none of the work was being funded by NCDOT — just the developer.

“We are incurring a lot of cost and lost time to keep both lanes of traffic open,” Maynard said.

The NCDOT traffic information website shows a lane shift, no closures on Military Cutoff Road (Port City Daily/NCDOT)
The NCDOT traffic information website shows a lane shift, no closures on Military Cutoff Road (Port City Daily/NCDOT)

According to the NCDOT’s traffic information website, “The southbound lanes of Military Cutoff Road between Gordon Road and Station Road will be shifted to allow for utility work for the Arboretum West Development.” 

There is no mention of a closure and traffic impact is expected to be low.

Earlier on Monday, an NCDOT spokesman said he was still under the impression that two lanes would be closed for the construction work, conflicting with accounts provided by Maynard and the NCDOT Wilmington office employee. He said he is working with the engineering department for clarification.

Port City Daily is awaiting an official statement regarding the work being completed and the continued opening of the lanes from the communications department for the NCDOT in Raleigh.

Port City Daily will update this article with any new information provided.


 

Related Articles