NEW HANOVER COUNTY — School’s out for students in New Hanover County on May 1. According to a press release from New Hanover County Schools, the closure is due to the number of teachers planning to participate in a planned rally in Raleigh.
According to the release, 440 teachers so far have requested off..
“Closing schools on May 1st is a difficult decision. Our students lost nearly three weeks of school after Hurricane Florence, and we do not want them to have to miss any more time; however, with over 400 teachers and staff, who have already put in leave requests and more are expected, we cannot safely operate the schools on May 1st,” Superintendent Dr. Tim Markley said.
According to the release, Markley said, “that the Board has expressed their strong support for teachers and their issues, but were [sic] disappointed with the fact that students will have to miss another day of school. Student and school safety are top priorities in NHCS and are the driving factors in the decision to close schools; the district does not employ enough substitute teachers to keep the district open on May 1st.”
The Superintendent will collaborate with the Board to decide whether the day will have to be made up. That decision will be announced at a later date.
Last week, Brunswick County announced its schools would be closed for the same reason. Pender County, meanwhile, negotiated a deal to keep class in session on May 1 by sending two representatives to the rally from each of its school.