WILMINGTON – “Rock of Ages” and “Cat on a Hot Tin Roof” took home top honors at the Thalian Association Community Theatre (TACT) Awards, Sunday, July 30, at the Ironclad Brewery in downtown Wilmington.
This was the 47th annual awards ceremony honoring excellence in Thalian Association Community Theatre productions as recognized by the association membership, participating actors and technicians.
Tori Jones, Thalian Association Community Theatre President, presented this year’s President’s Award to TACT Artistic Director Chandler Davis.
Other special acknowledgements included the Tina Award for technical achievement presented to Noelle Smith, the Volunteer of the Year Award presented to Kerry & Glenn Pedersen, and the Artistic Director’s Award presented to Josh Zieseniss. TACT Executive Director Susan Habas presented the TACT Award to Michael Lauricella to honor his many contributions as an actor, music director, and mentor for the Youth Theatre program.
Special guest New Hanover County Commissioner Rob Zapple presented the Donn Ansell Scholarship to Youth Theatre performer Dru Loman. The annual scholarship is funded by members of the Ansell Family and designated for college bound students who have been active in TACT productions and plan to further their theatrical education after graduation.
Other highlights of the evening were musical previews of the highly anticipated 2017-2018 Main Stage Thalian Hall and Youth Theatre productions of “Young Frankenstein,” “Disney’s Beauty & the Beast,” and “Oliver.”
Established in 1788, Thalian Association Community Theatre is a non-profit, membership organization dedicated to enhancing the Cape Fear region through live community theatre and arts education. Thalian Association Community Theatre produces five major productions annually on the main stage at historic Thalian Hall and professionally manages the Hannah Block Historic USO/Community Arts Center for the City of Wilmington.
The youth theater program offers training and performance opportunities for children, age 7 through high school seniors. In 2007, Thalian Association Community Theatre was designated North Carolina’s Official Community Theater by the state legislature. For more information, go to www.thalian.org.
Thalian Association Community Theatre offers its congratulations to all the nominees and the winners of the 2016-2017 Thalian Association Community Theatre Awards:
- Outstanding Production (in a musical): “Rock of Ages”
- Outstanding Production (in a play): “Cat on a Hot Tin Roof”
- Outstanding Director (in a musical): Judy Greenhut for “Annie Warbucks”
- Outstanding Director (in a play): Debra Gillingham for “Cat on a Hot Tin Roof”
- Outstanding Choreographer: Timothy A. Mills for “Rock of Ages”
- Outstanding Music Director: Amanda Hunter for “Rock of Ages”
- Outstanding Lead Actor (in a musical): Ty Myatt as Drew in “Rock of Ages”
- Outstanding Lead Actor (in a play): Sam Robison as Brick in “Cat on a Hot Tin Roof”
- Outstanding Lead Actress (in a musical): Sydney Short as Annie in “Annie Warbucks”
- Outstanding Lead Actress (in a play): Maggie Miller as Maggie in “Cat on a Hot Tin Roof”
- Outstanding Supporting Actor (in a musical): Richard Rosario as Stacee Jaxx in “Rock of Ages”
- Outstanding Supporting Actor (in a play): R. Rodriguez as Big Daddy in “Cat on a Hot Tin Roof”
- Outstanding Supporting Actress (in a musical): Beth Swindell as Louise in Gypsy
- Outstanding Supporting Actress (in a play): Denise S. Bass as Ethel Banks in “Barefoot in the Park”
- Outstanding Cameo Actress: Katherine Rudeseal as Sheila Kelly in “Annie Warbucks”
- Outstanding Cameo Actress: Maggie Miller as Tessie in “Gypsy”
- Outstanding Cameo Actor: Kellen Hanson in “Gypsy”
- Outstanding Ensemble Member: Karen Frances Walter in “Annie Warbucks”
Submitted by Susan Habas
This content was provided by a community member via Local Shout, a new initiative at Port City Daily. Port City Daily cannot guarantee the accuracy of information presented in this story. If you have additional information or would like to submit a story, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.