WILMINGTON — The Wilmington area continues to grow its reputation as an “Asheville East” of craft breweries — there are now 18 in the region — and we’ll be here to keep you in the loop. Our craft beer tracker is a place to keep up with scheduled beer releases, festivals, special casks, and more for the week ahead. We’ll publish every week and update as information comes along.
Schedules can fluctuate inside the brewhouse, so check the breweries’ links for updates on their Facebook pages. Brewers and taproom managers: keep us informed at email@example.com.
In the news
This week in craft beer Monday, August 5 – Sunday, August 11
Bill’s Brewing Co. | 4238 Market Street in midtown Wilmington
Release (Aug 1): Power Fowlure, a Double India Pale Ale brewed at 8.33% ABV and dry hopped with grapey Hallertau Blanc hops and fruity candy Cashmere hops. Available in draft and in crowlers.
- Brewing Philosophy: “We strive to create beer that everyone can enjoy, from the craft beer connoisseur to individuals new to the craft beer scene.”
- Brewers’ Top 3: Dog Haze of Summer NEIPA, Schwarzbier, and Wave Break IPA
- Founded: June 2016
Broomtail Craft Brewery | 6404 Amsterdam Way, King’s Grant area of Wilmington
Latest Release: Oryza Sativa Rice IPA (Aug. 1).
- Brewing Philosophy: “To enrich the world by using scientific art coupled with the natural resources and living organisms provided by Mother Nature developing unique, high-quality beer for all to enjoy.”
- Brewers’ Top 3: Galloping Gose’ – series of light sours using natural lactobacillus and brewers yeast in fermentation to develop smooth, refreshing, true to style Gose’; Acerbic Ecstasy – flagship IPA, a hybrid English / West Coast IPA; Moe Beer – signature brown ale, highly crushable and pairs well with almost any dish.
- Founded: 2014
And keep up with their souring/barrel-aging facility and taproom in Ogden, The Sour Barn (7211 Market Street).
Edward Teach Brewery | 604 N 4th Street in downtown Wilmington
Limited Release (Aug. 3): Tam’s Trippy Mango Wheat, an American wheat beer with mangoes and malagueta peppers.
- Brewing Philosophy: We focus on balance within each beer style we make & enjoy brewing everything from Lagers to IPAs.
- Founded: December 2017
Flying Machine Brewing Co. | 3130 Randall Parkway in midtown Wilmington
Release (Aug. 3): Blueberry LZ1 Berliner, with additions of orange, vanilla, and lactose on top of the blueberries.
Can Release (Aug. 2): Wolf Lord, a New England Double IPA. “Dank pine and citrus mingling with a rich bready malt base brings a little bit of New England down to The Old North State,” they wrote on their Facebook page.
Limited Edition Bottle Release (Aug. 1): Valkyr, a Norwegian-style farmhouse ale fermented in gin barrels with Ekuanot hops.
- Brewing Philosophy: “We want to mix new age ideas with old school techniques to bring a new era of innovation to the marketplace.”
- Brewers’ Top 3: Vimana (a Kölsch), Hollow Bones (a Roggenbier), and Hollow Wolf Lord (a double New England IPA)
- Founded: June 2016
Flytrap Brewing | Located at 319 Walnut Street in downtown Wilmington
Upcoming Releases: a cucumber Berliner and cherry Gose (stay tuned on their Facebook page, link above).
- Brewing Style: “A neighborhood brewery specializing in small batch American and Belgian style ales that are guaranteed to be at the peak of freshness.”
- Brewers’ Top 3: Our Saisons, our Rotating House IPA, and our Kettle Sour Ales
- Founded: October 2014
Front Street Brewery | 9 N. Front Street in downtown Wilmington
Upcoming Release: Napolean Rye-namite, a sweet dark rye beer with molasses and coriander. “Smooth, gently sweet, and malty, with notes of raisin, cocoa, molasses, and spice,” as the menu describes it.
- Brewing Style: “Specializing in American and Belgian style ales and small batch brews.”
- Brewers’ Top 3: Amberjack ESB, Napoleon Rye-namite, Tiny Tim’s Christmas Ale
- Founded: 1995
Good Hops Brewing | 811 Harper Ave in Carolina Beach
Stay tuned on their Facebook page (link above) for any releases.
- Mission: “To make and drink damn tasty beer, offer a comfortable neighborhood gathering place and support all things local.”
- Flagships: Donna Golden Ale, Flip Hop IPA, Stanky Yankee Hazy IPA
- Founded: 2014
Ironclad Brewery | 115 N. 2nd Street in downtown Wilmington
Upcoming Release (Thursday, Aug. 8): Strawberry Blonde, brewed at a drinkable 4% ABV and brewed with — you guessed it — strawberries and complimented with Damiana, an herbal remedy native to Mexico.
- Brewing Philosophy: “We strive to provide each beer enthusiast with a unique experience by infusing traditional styles with unexpected ingredients: Fermentation of the Imagination!”
- Brewers’ Top 3: Smoked Honey Lager, Cukes of Hazard, and Navigator Double Bock
- Founded: 2015
Mad Mole Brewing | 6309 Boathouse Road near Bradley Creek in Wilmington
First Ever Collaboration Batch (July 24): a double IPA brewed alongside Wilmington’s Skytown Beer Company.
- About: “Wilmington’s first solar-powered brewery. Spun off from a local software company, Mad Mole combines technology and art to brew better beer.”
- Founded: June 2018
Makai Brewing Co. | 5850 Ocean Highway W. Unit 1 in Ocean Isle Beach
Release (Aug. 3): Ula Ula Irish Red Ale.
Upcoming Release: Wailele (pronounced wah-ee-lay-lay), a single malt and single hop pale ale brewed with Vienna malt and Cascade hops.
- Brewing Philosophy: “Extending the reach of North Carolina craft beer ‘toward the sea’ with consistent flagships and diverse small-batches inspired by the Hawaiian Islands, the Carolina Coast, and our local community.”
- Brewers’ Choice: Carolina Tropical IPA, Nightingale Coffee Porter, Fire Knife DIPA
- Founded: 2017
New Anthem Beer Project | 116 Dock Street in downtown Wilmington
Read about their new 30-barrel brewhouse and 3,000 square-foot taproom in the thriving South Front District here.
- Brewers’ Choice: Rusty Cage, Five Thieves, Hillbilly Prophet
- Founded: 2016
Red Hare 34 North Experiment Station | 4802 Main St in Shallotte
Recent Release (July 30): Long Day Lager available in six-packs and on draft.
- Brewing Style: “Our style is fun, approachable beers. Specialize in lagers and crushable IPA’s to experiment wilds and sours, all usually with a classical and historically accurate base but with our innovative spin.”
- Brewers’ Top 3: Soft J IPA, SPF 50/50 Tangerine, and Putin’s Paradise Russian Imperial Stout
- Founded: 2012 (Shallotte location opened April 2018)
Salty Turtle Beer Co. | 103 Triton Lane in Surf City
Check their Facebook page (link above) for any new releases.
- About: “Veteran-owned brewery located in Surf City, consisting of 10 rotating taps and a family friendly taproom featuring food trucks and live music.”
- Brewers’ Choice: Coastline Kölsch, Hey Zay NEIPA, Swingbridge Breakfast Stout
- Founded: Dec. 2017
Waterline Brewing Co. | 721 Surry Street in Downtown Wilmington
Recent Re-Release (Sunday, Aug. 4): Russian Imperial Stout, brewed at a strong 9% ABV.
- Brewing Philosophy: “Brewed Under the Bridge with a focus on traditional, easy drinking beer styles with the occasional twist.”
- Brewers’ Choice: Our top-selling Kolsch, awarding-winning Coffee and Cream Pale Ale, and the annual release of our Whiskey Barrel Aged Tennessee Tripel.
- Founded: 2014
Waterman’s Brewing | 1610 Pavilion Place near the Wrightsville bridge
View their most recent beer list here.
- Brewing Philosophy: “Love your liquid!”
- Brewers’ Choice: Abundant Sunshine IPA, Knothead ESB, Makin’ Me Hazy IPA
- Opened: July 2017
Wilmington Brewing Co. | 824 Kerr Avenue in midtown Wilmington
Collaboration Batch: A recently brewed batch alongside Elevated Fermentations out of Loveland, Colorado is in the tanks, brewed with Zoso hops.
- About: “Homegrown from a small home-brew shop to an 11,800 square-foot facility. WBC includes a 3bbl and 25bbl brewery, tasting room, and a home-brew supply store.”
- Brewers’ Choice: Tropical Lightning IPA, Blair’s Breakfast Stout, Jalapeño Saison
- Opened brewery/taproom: 2014
Wrightsville Beach Brewery | 6201 Oleander Drive near Bradley Creek
New Release (Aug. 1): i-Paddle Super Session IPA, a low ABV beer (3.5%) hopped with Centennial and Halletauer Blanc.
- Brewing Style: “Wide variety perfect for sipping on the beach, including a year-round selection of lagers.”
- Brewers’ Choice: Carolina Harvest Ale, Raspberry Berlinerweisse, bourbon barrel-aged Masonbarrel Barleywine
- Founded: 2016