WILMINGTON –– A portion of Princess Street between 13th and 14th street is temporarily shut down due to a gas leak.
Construction crews accidentally struck a gas line Tuesday morning. People in the immediate vicinity were evacuated after the leak was discovered but were allowed back inside after the line was repaired, according to an 11:31 a.m. release from Wilmington Police Department.
Students in a portion of the nearby New Hanover High School were evacuated, according to an 11 a.m. tweet from the Wilmington Fire Department.
The portion of Princess Street will remain closed while crews perform additional work.
WPD asks the public to avoid the area and seek alternate routes.
PCD offers live briefs for free. Want to read in-depth reporting from our staff? Register now and then sign up for our newsletter, Wilmington Wire, and get the headlines delivered to your inbox every morning.
Send tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org