SOUTHEASTERN N.C. — Election Day is one week away, and despite considerable turnout for early voting, many voters will still head to the polls on the traditional first Tuesday in November.
Below is a comprehensive guide to Port City Daily’s election interviews and coverage. As a public service, all of these articles are free to read, with or without a subscription.
Candidates are labeled Republican (R.), Democrat (D.), Libertarian (L.), Constitution Party (C.), or Green Party (G.).
(Editor’s note: The vast majority of candidates responded to questions but, in several cases, no response was received to emails, phone calls, and social media messages. Candidates are welcome to respond up until election day, and this list will be updated).
North Carolina State Senate
North Carolina House of Representatives
- Deb Butler (D.)
- Louis Harmati (R.) – Suspended campaign.
- Joseph Sharp (L.) – Responded to say he was focused on his business.
New Hanover County Board of Education
- Stefanie Adams (D.)
- Janice Cavenaugh (R.)
- Bruce Shell (R.)
- Nelson Beaulieu (D.)
- Don Hayes (R.)
- Elena Rosemond-Hoerr (D.)
- Judy Justice (D.)
- Bill Rivenbark (R.)
With eight candidates — three incumbents and seven newcomers — vying for four spots, things complicated. Here’s our candidate-issue matrix, so you can see what each candidate had to say about the issues that matter to you.
New Hanover County Board of Commissioners
- Rob Zapple (D.)
- Skip Watkins (R.) – No response.
- Eric Lytle (R.) – No response.
- Julia Olson-Boseman (D.) – No response.
Amendments, other offices, and more
- Pender County Sheriff Candidate Q&A
- 2018 Election: Sheriff John Ingram, running for re-election in Brunswick County
- What the Soil and Water Conservation District is, and why it’s on your ballot
- Three seats open for Pender County Board of Commissioners
- State referendums would take rights from citizens and governor and give them to legislators
Send comments and tips to Benjamin Schachtman at firstname.lastname@example.org, @pcdben on Twitter, and (910) 538-2001.