Monday, June 24, 2024

County’s in-home assistance program open to eligible adults

New Hanover County — Space and funding is now open for eligible adults to apply for assistance for in-home care. The county’s department of social services provides case management for its Special Assistance In-Home services.

The program assists Medicaid-eligible adults in need of home-level care to be able to remain living in their own homes as long as possible. It offers financial assistances for monthly living expenses to help with support services, food and necessities, in an effort to avoid moving them to residential facilities.

“Providing residents with the services and support they need to live and thrive in our community is a top priority for our team at social services,” director of social services Tonya Jackson said. “We’re excited to have the capacity and funding to support New Hanover County citizens who qualify for the program and looking forward to speaking with applicants on how we can help.”

Case managers provide an analysis of an individual’s ability to live at home, a place safe and comfortable to him or her. They review the functional status of each client as well as the need for care and services, availability of nearby friends and family offering support and availability and access to care. The assessment also determines an applicant’s ability to pay for housing and provides a financial supplement to those who qualify.

To be eligible for the special assistance in-home program, an individual must:

  • Be at least 18 years old
  • Be a New Hanover County resident
  • Have a completed FL-2 requiring care in a licensed adult care facility but desire to live at home, or another private setting
  • Be a U.S. citizen or qualified alien
  • Fully qualify for Medicaid
  • Be able to have health, safety and well-being maintained with the appropriate services, including in-home aides, home modifications, case management and needed supplies
  • Must have unmet financial needs

To apply, contact the county’s social services at 910-798-3500 and visit the website for additional information.

Have comments or tips? Email

Want to read more from PCD? Subscribe now and then sign up for our newsletter, Wilmington Wire, and get the headlines delivered to your inbox every morning.

Related Articles