Tuesday, August 9, 2022

Brunswick’s Florence FEMA reimbursement total climbs to $13.8 million

Hurricane Florence reimbursement checks are still arriving in Brunswick County. (Port City Daily photo / File)

BRUNSWICK COUNTY — Federal and state reimbursement dollars are still rolling into Brunswick County for Hurricane Florence.

Brunswick County’s total reimbursement total is $13.8 million, according to a Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) release Monday. The county is receiving a $1.3 million tranche related to public safety threats

Typically, FEMA reimburses 75% of disaster-related costs with the state’s Department of Public Safety contributing the remaining 25%. To date, $300.1 million in Public Assistance funding has been provided to the state.

The frequently long wait time between federal and state reimbursement is an oft-cited reason why local coastal governments must maintain a healthy fund balance. When disaster strikes, it can take more than a year for checks to arrive.


Related Articles