SOUTHEAST N.C. — For those still in need of food, shelter, and supplies after Hurricane Florence, there are still resources available. For those wanting to lend a helping hand or make donations, there are designated locations for that as well.
Port City Daily has compiled a list of locations for residents in need.
The City of Boiling Spring Lakes will begin a distribution site at Waves of Praise Worship Center, 3000 Unit 4 George II Highway, Boiling Spring Lakes. This site will operate each day from 9 a.m. until 1 p.m., and then from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m.,” according to a county press release.
The Boiling Spring Lakes Volunteer Fire Department will not be a distribution site.
Beginning Monday, Sept. 24, citizens in the affected areas may continue to get water and MREs (Meals, Ready-to-Eat) at certain fire departments:
- Northwest Fire Department (5029 Northwest Road in Northwest)
- Navassa Volunteer Fire Department (336 N. Main Street in Navassa)
- Waccamaw Volunteer Fire Department (4045 Whiteville Road NW in Ash)
- Winnabow Volunteer Fire Department (161 Governors Road SE in Winnabow)
On Sept. 24, Tyson Foods will deliver meals and products to Lighthouse Church, 98 Trade Way, in Rocky Point. Red Cross will serve 150 meals each evening, 5-6 p.m., from Station 14, 19470 US Hwy 17 in Hampstead.
The following drop sites for relief items, including water, food, cleaning supplies, toiletries, and tarps, will be:
- Lighthouse Church, 98 S. Trade Way, Rocky Point
- Atkinson, 700 E. Church St., Atkinson
- Maple Hill, 115 Old Maple Rd., Maple Hill
- Shiloh-Columbia Fire Department, 19170 US-421, Willard
- Union Rescue, 89 Veach St., Willard
- Station 14, 19470 US Hwy 17 – serving evening meals.
- Share the Table, 12395 Hwy. 50, Surf City (call 910-616-8897 for hours)
- Gateway Community Church, 416 W. Bridgers St., Burgaw
- Lighthouse Church, 98 South Trade Way, Rocky Point.
- Station 29, 4849 US Hwy 421, Currie
- Station 23, 200 Wilmington Ave., Surf City
- Station 20, 816 S. Anderson Blvd., Topsail Beach (Tarps only for residents)
- Share the Table, 12395 Hwy. 50, Surf City (limited hours)
New Hanover County
“Three Points of Distribution Sites (PODS) opened Sept. 18 offering Meals Ready to Eat (MREs) and water to residents of New Hanover County. Since opening, approximately 11,383 cases of water, 11,544 cases of MREs and 5,357 tarps have been distributed to residents from the PODS locations,” according to county press release.
These PODS are being consolidated and the final operating hours can be viewed below:
- North POD: College Park Elementary School (formerly The Rock Church) – 5301 Sidbury Road, Castle Hayne NC 28429. Monday, September 24, open 7 a.m. to noon. Closed thereafter.
- South POD – Veteran’s Park – 840 Halyburton Memorial Parkway, Wilmington, NC 28412. Monday, September 24, open 7 a.m. to noon. Closed thereafter.
- Central POD – Cape Fear Community College downtown campus – 700 N. Front Street, Wilmington, NC 28401 Monday, September 24, open 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Tuesday, September 25, open 7 a.m. to noon. Closed thereafter.