Here are five stories from this week that got people talking:
- Carolina Beach is struggling to deal with trash in Freeman Park, but the debate took a heated turn when it came to who is trashing the north end beach.
- There has been a series of developments planned in recent weeks, but this one – located at the busy intersection of Military Cutoff and Eastwood roads, dwarfs them all at a million-square feet.
- Hilton the great white shark made an appearance for “Shark Week.” Note: unlike Michael Phelps, the researchers tracking great whites off the Carolina coast have actually come face to face with the impressive and misunderstood sharks.
- It’s one of the most impressive displays of the year, with nearly a meteor every minute at its peak intensity. Here’s some tips on how to catch it.
- Lastly, we tracked down this secluded Rocky Point house; it is located on the Northeast Cape Fear River, but seems like its thousands of miles away in a hidden jungle grotto.