Tuesday, December 6, 2022

Pender County high schooler taken to hospital due to vaping

PENDER COUNTY — First responders were called to a Pender County high school Friday for a student medical emergency caused by vaping, according to the district.

The high schooler was given preventive medicine and transported to a local hospital.

PCS issued a statement later in the day: “This crisis provides all of us with a reminder of the very real dangers of vaping, and the actual harm it can cause.

“In case anyone is unaware, electronic cigarettes, vaporizers, other electronic smoking devices even if they do not contain tobacco or nicotine, all lighted and smokeless tobacco products, and any other items reasonably resembling tobacco are considered tobacco products and their use is prohibited in school buildings, on school campuses, and in or on any other school property owned or operated by the School Board.”

Students are encouraged to reach out to a school counselor for support if they or someone they know is addicted to tobacco or e-cigarettes.


Have tips or comments? Email info@portcitydaily.com

Alexandria Sands
Alexandria Sands
Alexandria Sands is a journalist covering New Hanover County and education. Before Port City Daily, she reported for the award-winning State Port Pilot in Southport. She graduated from UNC Charlotte and wrote for several Charlotte publications while there. When not writing, Williams is most likely in the gym, reading or spending time with her Golden Pyrenees. Reach her at alexandria@localdailymedia.com or on Twitter @alexsands_

Related Articles