Man involved in fatal gunfight outside illegal gambling den to serve up to 9 years is your source for free news and information in the Wilmington area.


Patrick Terrell Fields
Patrick Terrell Fields

WILMINGTON — A 24-year-old Wilmington man will serve up to 9 1/2 years in prison for a series of charges from 2014 and 2015, including an armed robbery that saw the death of his co-conspirator when the victim brandished his own gun and fired back.

Patrick Terrell Fields, 24, pleaded guilty Thursday in New Hanover County Superior Court to attempted robbery with a dangerous weapon, conspiracy to commit robbery with a dangerous weapon, and assault with a deadly weapon with the intent to kill for his role in an gunfight that occurred on Jan. 31, 2015, outside of an illegal gambling facility on Raleigh Street.

A press release from the Office of District Attorney Ben David states that Fields and two other men, Jamarcus Fogal and Frankie Stukes, staked out the location and attempted to rob the owner of the business at gunpoint when he walked to his car at closing. The man they were targeting, however, was also armed, a brief gunfight ensued in which Stukes died.

Fields and Fogal escaped to a vehicle driven by Fields’ wife, Maya Stubbs.

Stubbs pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit robbery with a dangerous weapon in May of 2015. She is now awaiting sentencing.

Fogal is serving a 67-93 month prison sentence after entering a guilty plea to attempted robbery with a dangerous weapon in February of 2016.

Fields also pleaded guilty to several charges related to selling heroin to a confidential informant in 2014 in a buy monitored and recorded by detectives with the New Hanover Sheriff’s Office.  Fields was arrested immediately after selling $280 worth of heroin to the informant on Dec. 30, 2014.

Fields also entered guilty pleas to possession of a firearm by a convicted felon and possession with intent to sell and deliver heroin after detectives searched a residence on Manly Avenue in May of 2015. Prior to that arrest, he had cut off an ankle monitoring device placed on him as a requirement of post-release supervision. Fields pleaded guilty to that offense, as well.