CAROLINA BEACH — The grand, new, three story Carolina Beach Hotel opened for the 1926 beach season near the Carolina Beach Lake, where Carolina Beach School is today. But by September of 1927 it was gone. It had lasted for only two summer seasons.
It all began when the Carolina Beach Corporation announced plans for a hotel in mid-1925, you can see the planned site in this April, 1925 map of the beach.
The CB Corporation’s president was S.C. Ogbourne of Winston Salem, NC. He and Mrs. Ogbourne purchased the Loughlin home on the corner of Lake Park Blvd. and Cape Fear Blvd. as their summer residence. The house later became The Cottage Restaurant and is presently Havana’s.
Mr. Ogbourne awarded a contract to W.A. Simon on October 27, 1925 to build the hotel which was designed by Wilmington architect Leslie Boney. By Dec. 7, the hotel’s foundation was laid making it certain to be open by beach season 1926. Also planned was a golf course and a pier for mooring yachts on the Cape Fear River. The hotel’s location was a big draw as it overlooked a fresh water lake a stone’s throw from the Atlantic Ocean thus affording guests “still water” bathing in the lake as well as the ocean bathing.
The hotel’s formal opening was held on June 4, 1926. Its manager was J.L. Fagan, formerly of the Breakers in Palm Beach, Florida, and the Greenbrier Hotel in West Virginia.
There were 75 rooms with adjoining baths, a 150 capacity formal dining room overlooking the verandas, a smaller private dining room and a room for children’s dining. The lobby and mezzanine were furnished with cream-colored wicker with print upholstery. Enclosed porches had orange hued wicker. Guests could dance the night away to the Meyers Davis Orchestra. The rates were $6 per day or $36 for a week, both rates included meals.
The resort of Carolina Beach had its formal opening on June 12 with many Wilmington, New Hanover County and beach dignitaries invited. Among the guests at the Carolina Beach Hotel that weekend was the Honorable J.F.A. Cecil and Mrs. Cecil, the former Cornelia Vanderbilt of Biltmore. The Cecils were married in April of 1924 with a lavish reception at the mansion. Nearly a hundred years later their grandson, William Amherst Vanderbilt Cecil, continues to oversee the day to day operations of the largest private residence in the United States.
Coming next month, Part II.
For more information, visit Federal Point Historic Preservation Society online at http://federal-point-history.org/.
Original article published Jan. 8, 2017 http://federal-point-history.org/showcase/from-the-president-january-2017/
-Content provided by Elaine Henson, President, Federal Point Historic Preservation Society
This content was provided by a community member via Local Shout, a new initiative at Port City Daily. Port City Daily cannot guarantee the accuracy of information presented in this story. If you have additional information or would like to submit a story, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
More from Local Shout