WILMINGTON — One woman was injured in fire at the Lake Shore Commons apartments Tuesday morning.
Crews with the Wilmington Fire Department were dispatched at 6:31 a.m. to a structure fire at 1402 Hospital Plaza Drive, and arrived within minutes, according to Battalion Chief David Hines. Firefighters arrived to a blaze on the third floor of the apartment.
The apartment’s sprinkler system detected and extinguished the fire, Hines said. Firefighters shut down the water to prevent further rater damage while taking care of the tenant, who sustained injuries due to the fire. The woman was transported to New Hanover Regional Medical Center for treatment.
Investigators determined the fire started from improperly discarded smoking materials. No other injuries were reported. Damages were estimated at about $25,000, Hines said. Fire crews cleared the scene at 7:45 a.m. Tuesday.