With the regular season in the books and an extra week to prepare for postseason play, high school football teams in the area learned their playoff fate on Saturday as the North Carolina High School Athletic Association released brackets for the state tournament.
New Hanover and West Brunswick received favorable seeds out of the Mideastern Conference, while Hoggard, West Brunswick, Topsail and North Brunswick get first-round road games.
Playoff action is set to kick-off at 7 p.m. on Nov. 18.
- No. 1 New Hanover (7-4) vs. No. 8 Northern-Durham (5-6)
The Wildcats earned the top seed out of the eastern portion of the state moving into the 4A playoffs after clinching a share of the Mideastern Conference Championship.
- No. 6 Hoggard (6-5) at No. 3 Durham-Hillside (9-1)
Hoggard takes a four-game winning streak on the road to Durham-Hillside as the Vikings received a six-seed moving into the state tournament.
- No.5 Laney (7-4) at No. 4 Fuquay-Varina (8-3)
Laney’s defense is holding teams to less than two touchdowns per game heading into a contest westbound on Interstate-40 against fourth-seeded Fuquay-Varina.
- No. 1 West Brunswick (8-3) vs. No. 8 Northern Guilford (4-7)
The Trojans hare coming off back-to-back setbacks, but West Brunswick has had two weeks to refocus and prepare for a home game in Shallotte as a one-seed in the 3AA playoffs.
- No. 8 Topsail (4-7) at No. 1 Lee County (10-1)
- No. 7 North Brunswick (7-4) at No. 2 T. Wingate Andrews (7-4)
Click here for complete interactive brackets on MaxPreps.com.