BRUNSWICK COUNTY – A Southport man was will serve more than six years in prison after he was convicted of stabbing his wife in November 2015.
Edward Earl Jones, 71, was found guilty Monday on a charge of assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill or inflict serious injury, according to District Attorney Jon David. The conviction came following a two-day bench trial with Senior Resident Superior Court Judge Ola Lewis presiding in Brunswick County Superior Court.
Jones was arrested by Brunswick County Sheriff’s Deputies on Nov. 11, 2015, hours after he stabbed his wife multiple times at their Southport home. Jones had been married to his wife for 30 years at the time of the offense. The victim suffered significant injuries, including a punctured lung as a result of the assault, David said.
“We are very pleased with the outcome of this trial and the corresponding sentence,” said Assistant District Attorney Daniel Thurston, who prosecuted the case for the state.
The defendant was represented by Attorney Adrian Iapalucci. The case was investigated by the Southport Police Department.
Lewis sentenced Jones to between 73 to 100 months in the N.C. Department of Corrections and ordered him to pay $10,172 in restitution to the victim in the case.