Grease fire causes $30,000 in damage to Checkers restaurant

PortCityDaily.com is your source for free news and information in the Wilmington area.

A local fast food restaurant has been closed due to a grease fire Tuesday afternoon that damaged its exhaust system and roof.

Crews with the Wilmington Fire Department responded to the fire at Checkers Drive-In, 1901 Oleander Drive, at 5:44 p.m. Tuesday, according to Wilmington Battalion Chief David Hines.

The blaze began as a grease fire that extended into the exhaust duct system and continued to burn grease buildup in the exhaust, Hines said. The fire extinguishing system in the restaurant was not able to control the fire.

Firefighters worked to attack the fire inside Checkers and were able to contain the fire in the duct system. No injuries were reported to either firefighters or Checkers employees. The scene was cleared nearly two hours later.

The fire damaged the restaurant’s exhaust, some of the roof around the exhaust vent, and the restaurant’s extinguishing system, Hines said. The estimated total cost of the damages is about $30,000. The restaurant is closed, with no estimate on reopening at this time, Hines said.

 

Comments