The votes are in on which local organizations will get backing from this year’s season of live shows along the riverfront.
After seeking input from area residents, Wilmington Downtown Inc. (WDI) has announced its 2016 charity partners for the upcoming Downtown Sundown Concert Series.
It’s a partnership WDI established in 2011, when the economic development group began splitting proceeds from wristband sales with a different non-profit each show. The $1 wristbands can be purchased by of-age concert-goers who want to enjoy a beer or glass of wine while they listen to music. Downtown Sundown patrons can also just opt to give a donation.
Sales during last year’s concerts generated approximately $8,800 in donations to a variety of organizations, according to a release from WDI.
But overwhelming interest from non-profits this time around—35 applied for one of 15 available slots—prompted WDI to let the community decide through an online survey. WDI President and CEO Ed Wolverton said the response was equally stunning.
“This online election process attracted 3,327 votes from the public,” Wolverton said. “It was great to see this much enthusiasm and support for all the non-profit groups that applied.”
With charity partners in place, WDI has announced its 2016 line-up of performers, as well. Opening acts are almost entirely local, Wolverton noted, a conscious decision by WDI to help promote Wilmington’s arts scene.
Downtown Sundown is presented by WDI with Outdoor Equipped and other business partners. It kicks off May 27 and continues from 6 to 10 p.m. each Friday through Labor Day weekend in the parking lot at the corner of Princess and Water streets. Click here for more details.
The schedule is as follows:
- Headliner: 42 (Coldplay tribute)
- Opening act: Striking Copper
- Non-profit partner: The OOPs Foundation
- Headliner: Abbey Road Live (Beatles tribute)
- Opening act: Phantom Playboys
- Non-profit partner: New Hanover County Law Enforcement Officers Association
- Headliner: Red Zeppelin (Led Zeppelin tribute)
- Opening act: Sean Olds and The Church of The Eternal
- Non-profit partner: North Brunswick Kiwanis Club
- Headliner: Southern Avenue (rock and blues)
- Opening act: Snake Malone and the Black Cat Bone
- Non-profit partner: Vietnam Veterans of America, Chapter 885
- Headliner: Satisfaction (Rolling Stones tribute)
- Opening act: Junk Yard Mama
- Non-profit partner: Good Shepherd Center
- Headliner: 20 Ride (Zac Brown tribute)
- Opening act: Massive Grass
- Non-profit partners: Interfaith Refugee Ministry–Wilmington
- Headliner: Breakfast Club (1980s tribute)
- Opening act: Chasing Opal
- Non-profit partner: Pretty in Pink
- Headliner: Mystic Vibrations (reggae)
- Opening act: The Fustics
- Non-profit partner: Alzheimer’s Association of Eastern NC
- Headliner: Funky Monks (Red Hot Chili Peppers tribute)
- Opening act: Black Mantis
- Non-profit partner: Laney High School Baseball
- Headliner: Dave Matthews Tribute Band
- Opening act: Mike Blair and the Stonewalls
- Non-profit partner: Cape Fear Guardian Ad Litem Association
- Headliner: Slippery When Wet (Bon Jovi tribute)
- Opening act: Exploding Meth Lab
- Non-profit partner: Indo Jax Surf Charities
- Headliner: Same as it Ever Was (Talking Heads tribute)
- Opening act: Port City Shakedown
- Non-profit partner: Thalian Association Community Theater
- Headliner: Sky Dog (Allman Brothers tribute)
- Opening act: Boba Funk
- Non-profit partner: Historic Wilmington Foundation
- Headliner: Tuesday’s Gone (Lynyrd Skynyrd tribute)
- Opening act: Jam Sandwich
- Non-profit partner: WHQR Public Radio
- Headliner: Departure (Journey tribute)
- Opening act: David Dixon Trio
- Non-profit partner: Cape Fear River Watch