A locally filmed TV series will be taking an unexpected break.
After a scheduled film shoot Saturday at the NC State Ports Authority, History channel’s drama, “Six,” will “go on hiatus for a few weeks,” Tammy Skinner, film liaison for the City of Wilmington, said Friday.
Skinner said she did not know the reason for that hiatus and couldn’t confirm reports that it was due to an actor’s illness.
The show, about a US Navy SEALs team, was on location in a wooded area on EUE/Screen Gems Studios property earlier this week and, according to city film permits, will begin filming an action sequence at the ports at 4 p.m. Saturday.
A massive crew of 95 will be on set for a scene, involving 15 actors and a handful of extras, in which Navy SEALs attack a ship. The shoot will include simulated gunfire, including the use of prop semi-automatic weapons, overnight from 9 p.m. until 7 a.m. Sunday.
Then, it’s a wrap, for now at least. There is no word on the exact date “Six” will resume filming.
But such short-term breaks aren’t anything unusual, said Bill Vassar, execute vice president at Screen Gems.
He cited the 2012 massive production “Iron Man 3,” for example, which put a seven-week stop to filming to allow star Robert Downey Jr. time to recover from a stunt-related injury. And, Vassar pointed to the once locally shot Fox show, “Sleepy Hollow,” had to halt production when lead actress Nicole Beharie fell ill.
“Six” was set to wrap in early summer but Vassar said productions that experience delays typically make up the lost time at the end of the original filming schedule.
Hilary Snow is a reporter at Port City Daily. Reach her at firstname.lastname@example.org.