Battalion Chief: Neighbors save two dogs from Monday evening house fire

PortCityDaily.com is your source for free news and information in the Wilmington area.

Two dogs were rescued from a home on Park Avenue. The home has been deemed a total loss. Photo courtesy of the Wilmington Fire Department.
Two dogs were rescued from a home on Park Avenue. The home has been deemed a total loss. Photo courtesy of the Wilmington Fire Department.

The actions of some neighbors at a home on Park Avenue saved two dogs from a fire Monday evening.

Crews with the Wilmington Fire Department responded to fully involved fire at a two-story home located at 5048 Park Ave. at about 5:10 p.m. Monday and were on scene within minutes, according to Battalion Chief David Hines.

Firefighters brought the fire under control in about an hour. The residents were not home at the time of the fire. Neighbors who saw the fire kicked down the front door of the home to rescue two dogs from the blaze, Hines said. No injuries were reported to fire personnel, citizens or the dogs.

Fire investigators determined the fire started on the exterior of the home in the front porch area, Hines said. The cause of the fire has been ruled accidental due to improperly discarded smoking materials. Damages to the home’s structure and its contents inside were estimated at $350,000. The home has been deemed a total loss.