Local grapplers clinched a spot in the North Carolina High School Athletic Association Individual Wrestling Championships Feb. 18-20 at Greensboro Coliseum following strong outings at regional events held in Fayetteville and Wendell over the weekend.
After an impressive run to the Mideastern Conference Championship, with a stout performance in the 4A Dual Playoffs, the Laney Bucs had eight wrestlers qualify out of the 4A East Regional held at Jack Britt High School.
In order to secure a spot in the state meet, wrestlers had to finish in the top four during each regional event.
Keven Saravia was the only area grappler to take first-place honors in his respective weight class within the 4A classification. The junior has an impressive 46-12 record at 113 pounds as a two-time regional champion.
David Bostian, Austin Harrison and Alex Willis each placed second, along with Ashley’s William Adame at 106 pounds. Bostian is a four-time state qualifier, while Harrison and Willis return to the state tournament for a second time.
West Brunswick had seven wrestlers advance out of the 3A East Regional at Corinth Holders High School.
4A East Regional at Jack Britt High School in Fayetteville
- William Adame, Ashley, runner-up, 106 pounds
- Kevin Saravia, Laney, first-place, 113 pounds, (46-12)
- Dalton White, Ashley, top 4, 120 pounds
- Cael Willis, Laney, top 4, 126 pounds
- Terrell Mondragon, Ashley, top 4, 132 pounds
- Jesse Taylor, Laney, top 4, 132 pounds
- David Bostian, Laney, runner-up, 138 pounds
- Austin Harrison, Laney, runner-up, 145 pounds
- Austin Nalley, Laney, top 4, 152 pounds
- Hunter Starling, Laney, top 4, 182 pounds
- Alex Willis, Laney, runner-up, 195 pounds
3A East Regional at Corinth Holders High School in Wendell
- Harrison Campbell, West Brunswick, 120 pounds
- Lincoln Smith, West Brunswick, 145 pounds
- Peyton Tipton, West Brunswick, 152 pounds
- Michael Nelson, West Brunswick, 160 pounds
- Jacary Bethel, West Brunswick, 170 pounds
- Sterlin Fullerton, West Brunswick, 182 pounds
- Nate Gilbert, West Brunswick, 220 pounds
2A East Regional
- Tre’von Willis, North Brunswick, 120 pounds
- Bradley Hamilton, North Brunswick, 138 pounds
- Patrick Burton, north Brunswick, first place, 152 pounds
- Darnel Brooks, North Brunswick, 160 pounds
- Tyrone Watson, North Brunswick, 1st place, 182 pounds
- Christopher Valverde, North Brunswick, 220 pounds