Last of three brothers pleads guilty in March 2014 gang-related stabbing is your source for free news and information in the Wilmington area.

Antonio Sharod Point
Antonio Sharod Point

The last of three brothers charged in a gang-related stabbing that injured a 25-year-old man in March 2014 has pleaded guilty to felony charges in the case and was sentenced to more than three years in prison.

Antonio Sharod Point, 23, of Wilmington, pleaded guilty Thursday in New Hanover County Superior Court to charges of assault with a deadly weapon inflicting serious injury and conspiracy to commit an assault with a deadly weapon inflicting serious injury, according to Samantha Dooies, assistant to District Attorney Ben David.

Antonio Point was charged along with his two brothers, 21-year-old William Shakeel Point and 24-year-old Adrian Lynn Point, in connection with a stabbing that injured a man in front of a convenience store in the 1000 block of Chestnut Street on March 12, 2014.

The male victim in that case  was hospitalized with stab wounds to his torso and face after being jumped by Antonio Point and his brothers. Some of the severe lacerations scarred the man, according to Assistant District Attorney Dru Lewis, who spoke during a plea in the case last November.

The investigation by detectives with the Wilmington Police Department revealed that the incident was in retaliation to a gang-related shooting that had been previously directed at a member of the Point family. Detectives were initially able to link William Point to the scene, because he was wearing an electronic monitoring bracelet at the time, Dooies said.

Read related story: Rival gang members injured in back-to-back shooting, stabbing

Eyewitness statements further assisted in identifying Antonio Point and Adrian Point, Dooies said. A nearby homeowner also reported that one of the brothers appeared at her door and asked for a towel for a large gash on one of his fingers.

“The blood trail left by that suspect was tested by a private lab and it was determined that the blood belonged to Antonio Point,” Dooies said.

William Point was arrested in March 2014. In the weeks following his brother’s arrest, Adrian Point turned himself in to the New Hanover County Sheriff’s Office. Antonio Point was arrested in June 2014 by U.S. Marshals in Greensboro after he reportedly jumped out of a third story window to escape law enforcement.

William Point and Adrian Point each pleaded guilty to assault with a deadly weapon inflicting serious injury in November 2015. In addition to the assault charge, William Point pleaded guilty to a conspiracy charge in connection with the case and to selling heroin for an offense that occurred in October 2012. William Point was sentenced to a total of 33-52 months in the N.C. Department of Corrections.

Adrian Point also pleaded guilty to possession of a firearm by a felon in connection with a ShotSpotter activation on Nov. 13 in the area of 10th and Castle streets in Wilmington. Adrian Point was found in a vehicle at the the Hill Crest Public Housing Community of Wilmington, where law enforcement found a Ruger handgun, Lewis said. Adrian Point was sentenced to a total of 41-71 months in prison.

Antonio Point was arrested by U.S. Marshals again after he allegedly cut his ankle monitoring bracelet prior to his court appearance in November 2015. U.S. Marshals arrested him in the 600 block of North 10th Street on Dec. 26, 2015.

Superior Court Judge Charles Henry sentenced Antonio Point to 47-79 months in the N.C. Department of Corrections.