There have been a lot of road closures in Wilmington and New Hanover County this year due to infrastructure improvements and general construction.
While some major streets, like River Road, Fort Fisher Boulevard and Greenville Loop Road have closed and reopened, others like Water Street, 3rd Street and Carolina Beach Road remain blocked off to motorists or will have intermittent lane closures in the foreseeable future.
Below are a list of streets (in alphabetical order) that are currently undergoing long-term work, according to the City of Wilmington and N.C. Department of Transportation websites:
City of Wilmington
- Brittain Drive – closed between Dogwood Lane and Shuney Street until the end of the year
- Brookshire Lane – partially closed between Waltmoor Road and Derby Down Way until late January 2016
- Shuney Street – closed between Brittain Drive and Hill Wood Street until Jan. 31, 2016
- Water Street – closed between Princess and Market Streets to motor traffic until September 2016; open to local traffic and for parking only between Grace and Princess Streets until February 2016 (intersection of Water and Princess also closed during that time)
New Hanover County
- SR 1627 (3rd Street) – closed in both directions near U.S. 74 for bridge replacement until April 1, 2016
- SR 2169 (Fredrickson Road) – closed permanently in both directions near SR 2145 due to construction of the Wilmington Bypass
- U.S. 421 (3rd Street) – intermittent nighttime lane closures in both directions between Greenfield and Wooster Streets until Dec. 31
- U.S. 421 (Carolina Beach Road) – intermittent nighttime lane closures in both directions near SR 1140 until Dec. 31
Work postponed until after Jan. 1
- SR 1411 (Wrightsville Avenue) – lane closures between Huntington Avenue and Oleander Drive
- U.S. 421 (Carolina Beach Road) – intermittent nighttime lane closures in both directions near N.C. 132 (College Road)