Gang member sentenced in December 2013 daytime shooting is your source for free news and information in the Wilmington area.

Shaquille Kyre'Daquan Gregg
Shaquille Kyre’Daquan Gregg

A Castle Hayne man was sentenced to more than 6 years in prison after pleading guilty to a shooting in 2013.

Shaquille Kyre’Daquan Gregg, 22, entered an Alford plea Monday in New Hanover County Superior Court to charges of assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill or inflict serious injury and possession of a firearm by a felon, according to a notice from District Attorney Ben David.

Gregg was charged in connection with a daytime shooting that injured a man on Dec. 20, 2013. Nelson and a friend were sitting in a car in the 1100 block of Crocus Court in Wilmington at around noon when Gregg and his co-defendant in the case, 22-year-old Rakim Lee, reportedly walked up to the victim and asked if he was associated with a gang.

During this conversation, Gregg reportedly produced a Ruger 9mm pistol and Lee pulled out a .40-caliber handgun. Prosecutors say Gregg then shot the victim in the face.

“At least one small child was playing in the area while this occurred,” David said. “One of the bullets traveled through a house that was unoccupied at the time and came to rest in a television set.”

The victim was taken to New Hanover Regional Medical Center and rushed into surgery. He provided the police with the name “Shaquille” as the person who shot him before he went into surgery. The passenger of the car was able to identify Lee as being the other person with a handgun. No evidence existed that Lee shot the victim, David said.

According to law enforcement, both Gregg and Lee are validated gang members. During the investigation, detectives with the Wilmington Police Department were able to obtain a copy of a YouTube video that showed Gregg and several other gang members possessing what appeared to be weapons and rapping about killing rival gang members.

Gregg was arrested on Jan. 23, 2014, by members of the United States Marshall’s Violent Fugitive Task Force and the Wilmington Police Department after they learned Gregg was staying at a Darlington Avenue home. They entered the residence and found Gregg asleep in a bed with a minor child.

The Ruger 9mm handgun was found underneath his pillow, and the gun ballistics matched to the shell casing recovered from the shooting. Heroin was also found in the residence. Gregg will be required to serve a federal sentence for the heroin once he has served the state sentence, David said.

Lee pleaded guilty in February to assault with a deadly weapon inflicting serious injury. He was sentenced to 27-45 months suspended and ordered to serve 36 months of supervised probation.  Superior Court Judge John Nobles sentenced Gregg to 75-102 months in the N.C. Department of Corrections.

Assistant District Attorneys Charity Wilson and Timothy Severo prosecuted the case for the state. Gregg was represented by Attorney Merritt Wagoner. The investigation of this case was conducted by Wilmington Police Department Criminal Investigation Division and Gang Units, the U.S. Marshal Violent Fugitive Task Force and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives.