Some local students are shining under the spotlight.
The theater departments of Hoggard and Laney high schools recently took top honors at a regional competition. Two Vikings–Trenton Kong and Kendall Walker–received scholarships to attend the North Carolina Theatre Conference Discovery Day for their stellar make-up and acting, respectively.
Both school groups will now advance to the NCTC State Play Festival, set for Nov. 19-20 at Greensboro College.
The high school competition began in the fall with eight regional festivals throughout the state. Two plays from each of those eight were selected to advance to the state festival, where the winners will then go on to the Southeastern Theatre Conference’s national competition.
Laney students performed their show, “A Game,” in late October at Washington High School, while Hoggard’s “Psychoneurotic Phantasies” took the state at Wake Forest High earlier this month.
Below is a list of regional theater awards for Hoggard and Laney.
- Excellence in Student Design for Scenic Art–Margaret Jeffrey
- Excellence in Student Design for Stage Management–Zane Griffin
- Outstanding Student Design for Hair and Makeup–Trenton Kong
- Excellence in Scenic Design for “Almost, Maine”
- Excellence in Acting–Colby Burton for “Psychoneurotic Phantasies”
- Outstanding Actress–Kendall Walker for “Psychoneurotic Phantasies”
- Outstanding Ensemble–cast of “Psychoneurotic Phantasies”
- Excellence in Directing–Alley Collins
- Honorable Mention Distinguished Play–“Almost, Maine”
- Distinguished Play–“Psychoneurotic Phantasies”
- Superior Ratings–“Almost, Maine” and “Psychoneurotic Phantasies”
- Distinguished Play–“A Game”
- Superior Rating–“A Game”
- Excellence in Acting–Jeremy Weir for “A Game”
- Excellence in Acting–Laura Broadley for “A Game”
- Excellence in Acting–Sean Perkins for “A Game”
- Excellence in Stage Management–Brian Stilwell for “A Game”
- Excellence in Directing–Brent Holland for “A Game”
- Excellence in Stage Makeup for “A Game”
- Superior Rating–“Little Women 2: Wrath of the Undead”
- Excellence in Ensemble Acting for “Little Women 2: Wrath of the Undead”
- Excellence in Stage Combat for :Little Women 2: Wrath of the Undead”
- Excellence in Acting–River Hedgepeth for “Little Women 2: Wrath of the Undead”