A Wilmington man has been arrested in connection with a hit-and-run that injured four pedestrians in the Porters Neck neighborhood of New Hanover County.
Aaron Blake Williams, 23, was charged Sunday with felony hit-and-run and reckless driving to endanger, N.C. State Highway Patrol Lt. Jeff Gordon said. Williams was charged in connection with a hit-and-run wreck involving four pedestrians on Sunday, Oct. 10.
Troopers found four people who had been hit by a vehicle in the 2700 block of Marsh Oaks Drive at about 1:52 a.m., according to N.C. State Highway Patrol Sgt. P.M. Sanders.
Three men and a woman were walking east on the left shoulder of Marsh Oaks Drive when an SUV, also traveling east, ran off the road to the left and struck the pedestrians from behind, Sanders said. The four people hit were taken to New Hanover Regional Medical for treatment.
A 51-year-old man remains in serious condition at the hospital, New Hanover Regional Medical Center Spokeswoman Claire Parker said on Monday. The other three people hit – two men, ages 49 and 42, and a 45-year-old woman – were treated for injuries and released.
Gordon said troopers received a tip that Williams was suspected to be involved in the hit-and-run, Gordon said. Investigators with State Highway Patrol interviewed the suspect at the New Hanover County Sheriff’s Office and booked him at the New Hanover County Jail under a $500,000 secured bond.
Williams made his first appearance in New Hanover County District Court on Monday, when a district judge ordered that his bond remain at $500,000, Gordon said. The investigation is ongoing.