A Wilmington man was sentenced to 20 years in prison in connection with the shooting death of a 51-year-old man in October 2013.
Tre Scott, 22, pleaded guilty Thursday in New Hanover County Superior Court to charges of second-degree murder, robbery with a dangerous weapon and conspiracy to commit robbery with a dangerous weapon, according to a news release from District Attorney Ben David.
Scott was one of three suspects charged with the robbery and murder of Angelo Freeman, who was shot several times at his home on Lilac Court in the Greenfield Lake area of Wilmington on Oct. 1, 2013.
Scott and two co-defendants in the case – 19-year-old Rammaj Walker and 21-year-old Nicholas Bannerman – set up a robbery at Angelo Freeman’s home, where they knew there would be marijuana, according to David.
Bannerman reportedly texted Freeman to arrange a drug deal at the victim’s home. Prosecutors say Bannerman drove Scott and Walker to Freeman’s house. When Freeman opened the door to let Bannerman in, Scott and Walker forced their way into the home, David said.
“A struggle ensued…Freeman was struck on the forehead and shot in the thigh in his living room. He was shot once in the left side of his chest and the bullet came to rest in his abdominal wall,” David said. “He made it to his bedroom where he was fatally shot at close range in the back with the bullet striking his heart.”
The three defendants took Freeman’s money and drove away from the victim’s home, David said.
“The avarice and lack of remorse in this case is shocking. This group invaded Mr. Freeman’s home, shot him multiple times, including in the back, and left him on the floor to bleed to death – all over a fistful of dollars,” Assistant District Attorney Timothy Severo said.
Freeman’s body was found on the floor of his home by a close family friend, according to Wilmington Police Chief Ralph Evangelous, who spoke about the case in October 2013, following Bannerman’s arrest.
Wilmington police arrested Bannerman after Freeman was found dead following a brief foot chase in the area of Queen and 17th streets in Wilmington. Walker was served with murder warrants on Oct. 10, 2013.
Six days later, the U.S. Marshals Task Force served Scott with an arrest warrant on charge of murder on Thomas Jervay Loop Road. When they arrested Scott, authorities found a handgun underneath a chair at the home, David said.
“Ballistic testing would later confirm that this was the weapon used to kill Freeman. Although Scott maintained to officers that he only acted as a look-out for the robbery, information developed during the investigation revealed that Scott took a more active role,” David said.
However, prosecutors say it wasn’t clear which of the three defendants fired the fatal shot.
Superior Court Judge W. Allen Cobb Jr. sentenced Scott 240-300 months in the N.C. Department of Corrections. Walker and Bannerman each pleaded guilty to the same charges in the case earlier this summer.
Walker was also ordered to serve an active sentence of 240-300 months in prison. Bannerman’s sentencing was continued until Nov. 2 in New Hanover County Superior Court. Attorney Geoff Hosford represented Scott in the case.