Man convicted of using box cutter to take Walmart merchandise is your source for free news and information in the Wilmington area.

Jason Rodger Dubose
Jason Rodger Dubose

A man was sentenced to seven years in prison Thursday after he was convicted of an armed robbery at a Walmart in February that injured a sheriff’s deputy.

Jason Rodger Dubose, 37, was found guilty by a New Hanover County jury on charge of robbery with a dangerous weapon, according to a new release from District Attorney Ben David.

The state’s evidence showed that Dubose walked out of the Walmart with a cart full of household items and clothes without paying, David said. The items totaled $216 in merchandise.

When he was approached by a Walmart Asset Protection Associate, Dubose reportedly pulled out a box cutter and refused to stop. New Hanover County Sheriff’s Office Maj. Bobby Blackmon happened to be at the department store at the time of the incident, David said. He also approached Dubose and asked him repeatedly to put the weapon down.

Blackmon suffered a puncture wound to his hand while in a scuffle with Dubose, David said. Dubose was detained until Wilmington police arrived to arrest him.

Dubose was previously convicted of two counts of grand larceny, attempted second-degree burglary, financial card theft and shoplifting in South Carolina, as well as misdemeanor larceny in Robeson County, David said.