Police have tripled a reward for information that could lead to the arrest of a suspect in connection with a drive-by shooting last month that injured a 9-year-old girl.
In August, the City of Wilmington and Wilmington Police Department had offered a $5,000 reward for an arrest in the case, but Thursday the reward was increased to $15,000, according to Wilmington Police Department Spokeswoman Linda Rawley.
The 9-year-old victim was shot in the left hand while inside a home in the 1500 block of Railroad Street at about 3:15 a.m., Aug. 24, Rawley said. Eight adults, an infant and the 9-year-old girl were inside when multiple shots were fired into the home. The girl was taken to New Hanover Regional Medical Center for treatment.
The initial reward was offered during a press conference at Wilmington City Hall on Aug. 25, when Wilmington Mayor Bill Saffo and other community leaders joined Police Chief Ralph Evangelous in a call for the community to “step up” to help find the suspects in the shooting and make an extra effort to reduce community violence.
According to city officials, the drive-by shooting was not gang related and no other injuries were reported at the scene.
“Wilmington Police Chief Ralph Evangelous increased the amount in an effort to encourage anyone with information to come forward and help the police locate this shooter,” Rawley said.
The City of Wilmington and Crimestoppers of the Lower Cape Fear have joined together to offer the reward in the case.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Crimestoppers at (800) 531-8945 or Text-A-Tip to CRIMES. Start your message with Tip708, then type your tip. All calls to Crimestoppers and texts to Text-A-Tip are anonymous.