Second suspect pleads guilty to murder in October 2013 shooting

PortCityDaily.com is your source for free news and information in the Wilmington area.

Ramaj Tyson Walker
Rammaj Tyshawn Walker

A teen was sentenced to 20 years in prison after pleading guilty to murder in the death of a 51-year-old man who was fatally shot in October 2013.

Rammaj Tyshawn Walker, 19, pleaded guilty Wednesday in New Hanover County Superior Court to charges of second-degree murder, robbery with a dangerous weapon and conspiracy to commit robbery with a dangerous weapon, according to court records.

Walker was one of three suspects charged in connection with the robbery and death of Angelo Freeman, who was shot several times at his home on Lilac Court in Wilmington on Oct. 1, 2013.

His co-defendant in the case—22-year-old Nicholas Terrell Bannerman—pleaded guilty to the same charges on July 20.

Freeman’s body was found on the floor of his home by a close family friend, according to Wilmington Police Chief Ralph Evangelous, who spoke about the case in October 2013, following Bannerman’s arrest. An unlit gas stove was turned on in the home, he added.

“It appears that there was a struggle inside Mr. Freeman’s home…he was found face-down in his back bedroom,” Assistant District Attorney Timothy Severo said in Bannerman’s plea in superior court.

Freeman had been shot in his thigh, hand, chest and back, Severo said.

“What doctors determined to be the fatal shot was a contact wound to his back that damaged his heart and his lungs. And that’s what killed him,” he added.

Walker was arrested on Oct. 10, 2013. He was originally charged with first-degree murder, two counts of robbery with a dangerous weapon and first-degree arson. Court records show all other charges in the case were dismissed as part of his plea agreement.

Wilmington police also arrested 22-year-old Trey Quadrell Scott in connection with the case. He has been charged with first-degree murder, robbery with a dangerous weapon, conspiracy to commit robbery with a dangerous weapon, first-degree burglary, attempted first-degree arson and first-degree kidnapping. Scott is being held at the New Hanover County Jail under a $500,000 secured bond.

According to Samantha Dooies, assistant to District Attorney Ben David, the state’s case against Scott is pending in New Hanover County Superior Court.

Sentencing for both Bannerman and Walker will be held at a later date, she said.

Nicholas Terrell Bannerman
Nicholas Terrell Bannerman
Trey Quadrell Scott
Trey Quadrell Scott