A Wilmington man has pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in the death of a 51-year-old man in October 2013.
Nicholas Terrell Bannerman, 21, pleaded guilty to second-degree murder, robbery with a dangerous weapon and conspiracy to commit robbery with a dangerous weapon on Monday in New Hanover County Superior Court.
Bannerman was one of three suspects charged in connection with the robbery and death of Angelo Freeman, who was shot several times at his Lilac Court home on Oct. 1, 2013.
Bannerman was originally charged with first-degree murder, robbery with a dangerous weapon, conspiracy to commit robbery with a dangerous weapon, first-degree burglary, aiding and abetting first-degree burglary, attempted first-degree arson and first-degree kidnapping, according to court records.
Bannerman and two of his co-defendants in the case reportedly went to Freeman’s home in an attempt to steal marijuana and money, according to Assistant District Attorney Timothy Severo. Bannerman had bought marijuana from Freeman before and called the victim as a way to get into his home, Severo said.
“It appears that there was a struggle inside Mr. Freeman’s home…he was found face-down in his back bedroom,” Severo said.
Freeman had been shot in his thigh, hand, chest and back, Severo said. Money and marijuana were taken from the home.
“What doctors determined to be the fatal shot was a contact wound to his back that damaged his heart and his lungs. And that’s what killed him,” Severo said.
Detectives found a call from Bannerman on Freeman’s phone, Severo said. He was arrested in the area of Queen and 17th streets the next morning. Severo said police later found the gun that was reportedly used in the shooting while arresting Bannerman’s co-defendants in the case.
Bannerman’s co-defendants in the case–22-year-old Trey Quadrell Scott and 19-year-old Rammaj Tyshawn Walker–were arrested in the weeks after Freeman’s death in October 2013. They have been charged with first-degree murder, robbery with a dangerous weapon, conspiracy to commit robbery with a dangerous weapon, first-degree burglary, attempted first-degree arson and first-degree kidnapping.
Scott is being held at the New Hanover County jail under a $500,000 secured bond. He is scheduled to appear in New Hanover County Superior Court on Aug. 10. Walker is being held under a $2 million secured bond and is scheduled to appear in New Hanover County Superior Court on Sept. 2.
All other charges in the case were dismissed as part of Bannerman’s plea agreement. Superior Court Judge Jay D. Hockenbury ordered that Bannerman be sentenced at a later date.