Navy officials: Marine treated for possible shark bite (UPDATED)

PortCityDaily.com is your source for free news and information in the Wilmington area.

A 32-year-old U.S. Marine stationed at Camp Lejeune in Jacksonville was treated for a possible shark bite over the holiday weekend.

Officials with the Naval Hospital at Camp Lejeune confirmed they treated the Marine who was admitted to the hospital at about 10:40 p.m. July 4 for lacerations to his hand and forearm from a possible shark bite. The man reportedly told hospital officials he was swimming near Surf City in Pender County on Saturday night, when he was bitten, according to a news release sent Monday from Nat Fahy, director of public affairs at Camp Lejeune.

The man was taken to the Naval Hospital by a friend. He was treated for injuries that were not considered life-threatening and released at 3:30 a.m. Sunday.

Surf City Police Department Maj. R. Shanahan on Tuesday morning said the town’s police department did not respond to any shark bites over the weekend.

Saturday’s reported shark bite was the fifth reported in the Cape Fear region and the eighth reported this summer off the Carolinas’ coast. Last month, an 8-year-old boy was bitten by a shark off Surf City.

A 16 year old and a 12 year old lost lost their arms in two separate shark attacks reported about an hour apart while swimming off Oak Island in June. Also in June, a 13-year-old was injured in a reported shark bite off Ocean Isle Beach.