Stoppage time goal snaps winless streak for Wilmington Hammerheads is your source for free news and information in the Wilmington area.

With the score tied late in the match, Wilmington pushed forward and Wil Heaney tallied his first goal of the year for the game-winner as the Hammerheads defeated FC Montreal 2-1 in stoppage time at Stade Stadium on Thursday afternoon.

Wilmington Hammerheads FC recorded its first result since April to pick up three points in the USL standings and improved to 2-7-5 overall, while FC Montreal fell to 1-10-2 this season. Wilmington moved up to 10th place in the 12-team eastern conference table and sit eight points out of the final spot for playoff contention.

Wilmington Hammerheads FC picked up a 2-1 result on Thursday. Photo courtesy- Wilmington Hammerheads FC
Wilmington Hammerheads FC picked up a 2-1 result on Thursday. Photo courtesy Wilmington Hammerheads FC.

The Hammerheads were first to score when Brian Ackley put a diving header in back of the net on a cross coming from the left flank in the 39th minute.

FC Montreal replied early in the second half as midfielder Jérémy Gagnon-Laparé deflected a pass from midfielder Zakaria Messoudi behind the Hammerheads’ backline for winger Victor Omar Ndiaye. Ndiaye went around  goalkeeper Andre Rawls and scored just five minutes after the break.

Montreal pushed forward as it looked for a winner, but Rawls and the Hammerheads defense was able to withstand the pressure to keep the game level. That proved crucial in stoppage time, when Marc Godelman passed back to Heaney in the penalty area. Heaney’s low shot went into the right corner to beat goalkeeper Maxime Crépeau in the 91st minute.

Montreal had a pair of good opportunities to open the scoring in the first 15 minutes. Gagnon-Laparé stopped a clearance from Wilmington, but Rawls blocked his volley in the ninth minute with a good save. Moments later, winger Fabio Morelli lobbed the ball over the keeper after getting a through ball. His shot hit the right post, and the rebound was cleared away to safety by a Hammerheads defender.

Wilmington continues a two-game road trip north of the border at Toronto FC II on Saturday, July 27.