Ocean Isle Beach kennel fire kills more than a dozen dogs

PortCityDaily.com is your source for free news and information in the Wilmington area.

Several dogs were killed in an accidental fire at an Ocean Isle Beach animal kennel on Sunday night.

Fire crews responded Diamond-A-Kennels, 60 Green Bay Road, at about 8:45 p.m., according to Brunswick County Fire Marshal Scott Garner.

Crews responded to the scene in about two minutes and arrived to smoke coming from the building, Grissettown-Longwood Fire and Rescue Chief Talbot Grissett said. Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire, which was contained to one room, but several dogs died.

“At this time it appears that 13 dogs perished and 18 dogs survived the fire,” Garner said. “The owners were working to notify the owners of all of the dogs and had contacted a local veterinarian to evaluate the surviving dogs.”

The fire was ruled accidental and caused by a malfunctioning air conditioning unit, Garner said.

Diamond-A-Kennels is a dog- and cat-boarding facility, Garner said. No cats were injured in the fire since they were housed in a separate building.

Grissettown-Longwood Fire and Rescue, Shallotte Fire Department and the Sunset Beach Fire Department responded to the scene. Brunswick County Emergency Services also responded with their Companion Animal Mobile Equipment Trailer (CAMET) to ensure that animal specific equipment needs could be met, Garner said.