Downtown shop Outdoor Equipped is among this year’s winners of the annual Historic Preservation Awards.
Owners Chad and Robert Hankinson were recently honored by the Historic Wilmington Foundation (HWF) for their adaptive reuse of the first floor space at the historic Efird’s Department Store (now the Self-Help building), 272 N. Front St.
Outdoor Equipped, which has been in operation online since 2013, opened its brick-and-mortar store late last year.
The awards–a capstone event for the HWF’s celebration of National Preservation Month each May–recognized local homeowners and businesses for their efforts to restore and repurpose historic spots.
“The theme for National Preservation Month was ‘Preservation: A Foundation for the Future,’ and the awards are a reflection of the preservation at work in our community that inspires and engages the public and helps achieve the goal of preserving and using our historic resources to improve the quality of life in the lower Cape Fear region,” HWF director George Edwards said.
Each year, the HWF awards acknowledge area restoration, rehabilitation and compatible new development projects, as well as preservation leadership and individual contributions to the field.
This year, one of the foundation’s highest honors, the Katherine Howell Award, was bestowed upon David P. Thomas of DP Thomas Construction for his contributions to furthering HWF’s overall mission.
Two other local organizations, Residents of Old Wilmington (ROW) and Wilmington Downtown, Inc. (WDI), each presented awards during the recent HWF ceremony. ROW’s annual Good Neighbor Award went to Phoebe and Terry Bragg, and WDI handed out its Benjamin Halterman Award for Leadership in Preservation to Don Lashley for the Ironclad Brewery project on North Second Street.
Other 2015 HWF winners include:
- Kimberly and Bill Hayden for the restoration of the Governor Dudley Mansion, 400 S. Front St.
- Dale and Patricia Nixon for the rehabilitation of the John J. Fowler House, 417 S. Front St., and the restoration of the Hassel-Parsley House, 302 S. Third St.
- Libby and Maureen Beccarino for compatible new construction at 221 N. Seventh St.
- Everett Lewis for the restoration of Black Rock Plantation, 7578 Old Stage Road in Riegelwood.
- Doris Best for the rehabilitation of the Cyrus D. Hogue House, 219 N. 16th St.
- Kathleen T. Egan for the rehabilitation of the David G. Worth House, 410 S. Second St.
- George and Nancy Bolts for the restoration and rehabilitation of the Allen-Woodward House, 406 S. Third St.
- Gay Adair for the rehabilitation of the Martin L. Stover House, 1813 Princess St.
- 5th and Orange, LLC for the rehabilitation of the Eugene Philyaw House, 1802 Market St.
- Pender County commissioners and staff for leadership and adaptive reuse and rehabilitation of the Topsail School for county offices.
- Tom Davis for his support of the designation of the Brookwood National Register District in Wilmington.
- New Hanover County Development Services for conducting the first countywide review, survey and documentation of historic resources since 1976.