A special session of court for veterans in New Hanover, Pender, Bladen, Brunswick and Columbus counties will be held Friday in New Hanover County District Court.
A joint initiative between the DA’s offices in the five counties, Veterans’ Amnesty Day will take place 2-4 p.m. May 8 in courtroom 317 in the New Hanover County Courthouse, 316 Princess St., Wilmington.
“Veterans’ Amnesty Day is where current and former military members and their spouses can resolve pending non-violent misdemeanors, failure to appears, failure to pay fines, and other minor traffic matters without fear of arrest,” according to a news release from District Attorney Jon David, who represents the 13th District. “Matters not resolved during this session will be re-calendared for a later court date in the county of origination.”
The courtroom will open at 1:30 p.m. Friday. The Salvation Army will operate a shuttle between the courthouse and the Veterans of Foreign Wars Post at 2722 Carolina Beach Road, Wilmington.
“Individuals should simply show up and present themselves to prosecutors in the courtroom,” David said in a news release. “Clerks of court from all five counties will be on hand for assistance in all record keeping matters. Public defenders will be on hand for individuals who require appointment of counsel.”
Judges will hear matters in the event they can be resolved and work with prosecutors to reset the cases into applicable courts if matters require a continuance, according to David.
Veterans who wish to participate are asked to contact the clerk of court in the county where a case initiated to expedite disposition of cases.
“Be specific regarding the request. If you have more than one matter pending, list them. If you have matters in multiple counties, contact each clerk of court directly,” the news release states.
Contact information for clerks of court are listed below:
- New Hanover County: District Attorney Ben David; Clerk of Court Jan Kennedy. Contact Sandy Gerstenmier at Sandra.J.Gerstenmier@nccourts.org.
- Brunswick County: District Attorney Jon David; Clerk of Court James MacCallum. Contact Jennifer Jones at (910) 253-3902 or Jennifer.M.Jones@nccourts.org.
- Pender County: District Attorney Ben David; Clerk of Court Robert Kilroy. Contact Liz Carver at (910) 663-3935 or Elizabeth.H.Craver@nccourts.org.
- Columbus County: District Attorney Jon David; Clerk of Court Jess Hill. Contact Tina Blackmon at (910) 641-4443 or Tina.N.Blackmon@nccourts.org.
- Bladen County: District Attorney Jon David; Clerk of Court Niki Dennis. Contact Leisha Brown at (910) 872-7200 or Leisha.M.Brown@nccourts.org.