Harrisburg City Islanders blank struggling Hammerheads

PortCityDaily.com is your source for free news and information in the Wilmington area.

The Harrisburg City Islanders took a 4-0 victory over Wilmington Hammerheads FC at Legion Stadium on Saturday night.

Harrisburg City defender Ken Tribbett tallied two goals in the result, while Jason Plumhoff notched a score and assist.

Tribbett put the visitors in front in the 31st minute off a corner kick taken by  Plumhoff.  The header found the back of the net to put Islanders in front and keeper Nick Noble stayed strong through a few early opportunities for Wilmington.

Shortly after the goal by Tribbett, the Hammerheads were offered a free kick just outside of the penalty area with a chance to equalize, but Noble rejected entry on the jump. With halftime approaching and the Hammerheads still down by one, defender Paul Nicholson sent a long ball up to Christian Bassogog for the run, but Noble approached quickly for the stop.

Wilmington dropped to 1-3-2- on the year with Saturday's setback. Photo courtesy- Wilmington Hammerheads FC
Wilmington dropped to 1-3-2- on the year with Saturday’s setback. Photo courtesy- Wilmington Hammerheads FC

Hammerheads forward Sunny Jane was quick on his feet to start the first half, attempting a shot early on, but had difficulty finding a good touch on the ball and flanked a shot wide. Bassogog made his debut on the pitch with Wilmington on Saturday along with Brian Anunga and Fran Martinez.

With Wilmington trailing by one, Jane had a golden opportunity to level the match in the early stages of the second period, but the former Maryland University standout missed an open net off a pass across the box from Bassogog.

Harrisburg City took advantage of its opportunities and Brett Jankouskas scored the second goal of the match in the 59th minute after miscommunication from Wilmington gave him space after receiving a pass from Yann Ekra a few yards away. After faking a move to the right, Jankouskas sent a beautiful strike with his left foot and found the upper left corner of net to make it 2-0.

Corben Bone attempted to put a point on the board for Wilmington off a free kick after Bassogog was brought down just outside of the box, but the hard ball curved just outside of the right post. Tribbett found the back of the net once more in the 70thminute after gaining control of the ball following a shuffle of possession in the box.

The Islanders tallied its final goal off a penalty kick from Plumhoff with minutes remaining in the match.

Wilmington Hammerheads FC dropped to 1-3-2 this season and travel westward next weekend to St. Louis FC on Saturday, May 9  and  to Louisville City FC on Tuesday, May 12.