UPDATE: Second downtown water outage, boil advisory lifted

PortCityDaily.com is your source for free news and information in the Wilmington area.

UPDATE: 9:45 a.m. Thursday

The precautionary boil water advisory has been lifted.


About 105 residential water customers are expected to be affected by a planned water outage in parts of downtown Wilmington on Wednesday–the second outage in as many days.

According to Mike McGill, spokesman for the Cape Fear Public Utility Authority (CFPUA), Wednesday’s scheduled outage is separate from Tuesday’s outage and boil water advisory in a northern portion of downtown Wilmington. 

“As part of the Authority’s valve replacement program, CFPUA will be installing four new water valves and uncovering three over-paved valves,” McGill said. “As a result of the effort, a service outage will be required for the addresses listed above between from 9 a.m. to approximately 5 p.m. on Wednesday.”

The following areas will be affected:

  • 600 and 700 block of Market Street
  • The 500-800 blocks of Princess Street
  • 700 and 800 blocks of Chestnut Street
  • North Sixth and North Seventh streets, from Market to Princess Street
  • North Ninth Street, from Market to Grace Street

“A precautionary boil water advisory will be issued after the outage is over because periods of low or no pressure increase the potential for the introduction of bacteria into the water system,” McGill said. “CFPUA customers in the above described area will be asked to boil their water for one minute then allow it to cool prior to consumption or utilize another water source such as bottled water.”

Consumption includes drinking, brushing teeth, making ice, food preparation, fruit and vegetable washing and the preparation of baby formula. Customers do not need to boil water prior to using it for showering or bathing.

Customers can call CFPUA’s new precautionary boil water advisory information line at (910) 332-6500 for details. The precautionary boil water advisory will be in effect until water quality testing has occurred and service has returned to normal, typically within 24 hours. Click here for more information.